skinny tips and advice

Hi all,

i live near Hemlock, and rarely venture to the Eastern FLX but i'm headed to Skinny on Sept 20 and was hoping to get a few tips.

I've heard there are no alewifes or smelt in the lake - is that true?

I've also heard you should fish small lures - true?

any tips, advice, locations will be greatly appreciated.

I also have a trip to Indian Lake (ADKs) scheduled in september so i just ordered some lake clear wabblers - do you think those might work in skinny as well?

many thanks,

andre

well i have fished skinny but i'm no expert. I did well on perch or firetiger patterns in the past because perch is the baitfish there. If you launch at the state park run south past the point and there is a big white house in the "bay" of that area. I did good infront of that place in 90- 120 FOW but that was a few years ago so things may have changed. needle fish spoons worked well on that lake so i would keep the spoons small(they work on big fish too, trust me). I'm sure a few more guys will chime in with better info. I love that lake but it has been a while for me. Best of luck to you, tight lines!

Ben

True there is no smelt or alewifes. Like Ben said perch is the bait fish here. One of the best landlock baits here is a perch colored floatin rapala off planer boards. Not real sure about the wabblers, never had any luck with them here myself. As for the little lure thing I have been doin well with nk 28s and stingers. A go to here is a sutton 44 silver n brass hammered. Its mostly a spoon and stick bite here. I dont know if you have a probe so a good gps speed to work from is 2.3. Hope this helps. Dave

A purple clown stinger has produced fish for me every time out. Last week i pulled a 5lb laker and a 6lb rainbow with it. I also have luck with a tandem trolling streamer with a wiggle fin in front of it, in perch color. I would say 6-8:30 pm are the best times. Trolling streamers in fall can be alot of fun. Mickey finn, orange, perch, and black all work great. I troll 3-4 mph with lines out around 100'