Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name:Rolmops

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s):8/21

Time on Water:06.00-13.30

Weather/Temp:warm with intermittent rain early on later it turned almost sunny and even later a monster thunderstorm showed up

Wind Speed/Direction:about 10 knots mostly from the north west

Waves: between 2 and 3 early on down to less than 1 towards noon

Surface Temp:72

Location:out to 500 feet nort-east of I-Bay,later at 180 feet in north east of the Genny

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 11

Total Boated:8

Species Breakdown:kings and one steelie

Hot Lure: glow froggy, Spin doctor(nuclear??) with blueish flies

Trolling Speed: between 2.5 and 3.4

Down Speed: roughly between 2.4 and 2.8

Boat Depth: various

Lure Depth: between 95 and 70

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

We left the Bay around six in the morning and went out to 160 feet where we set up at a break line around 60 feet down which proved to hold only skippies. After this we trolled north and east out to 500 feet ,but it was just covering empty space and wasted time.We picked up our lines and set a course for the area in front of Slaters creek,but on the way there in about 200 feet the screen started to show some big fish that were on top of big bait balls so we dropped our lines there and the thermocline was pretty steady at 90 feet until we hit all sorts of currents and breaks at different depths,probably the out flow of the Genny. There the fun started. They started hitting the dipsy with the fly,the copper with a mag glow lemon ice and the glow frog.

All were in the low twenty pound range and all were quite red. I think that the staging has started and from here on they will just get closer in. the steel head was a 7 pounder.

Around twelve thirty by sheer luck I turned on channel 2 for some weather info and there was a severe thunder storm warning with a storm coming from the west, so that cut our day short.

But they are there and they are staging.

====================

Thanks for the heads up, but one question. What do you mean by them being "red"? Referring to the start of their color change?

Yes, all the ones we caught today had lost their silvery colors and were turning reddish

That's for the info. Headed out to 550 feet on Sunday and didn't make anything. Trilled back in to about 200 and picked up a decent brown and a couple of small steelies . The 9 year old ( professional fisherman) on the boat lost a couple nice fish don't know what they were but he had a great day. Going to give it a shot on wednesday

the fish are definately staging just off shore... the cool weather weve had the past few days, and the good amount of rain weve had has been enough to drive alot of them in... id say were gonna see a pretty early run this year... If we get a few more days in the 70's like its been, and another good day or two of rain, the fish are gonna start heading up the channels. I hooked something today from the end of the i-bay pier (lake side) in about 30ft of mixed water on a big daredevil that stripped about 3/4 of my line out before it spit the spoon out... If i had to guess id say it was a pretty good size brown....regardless id say its a sign that the fish are sitting just offshore.

also, it will be interesting to see if slater creek/russell station actually gets fish this year... the past few years were pretty abyssmal, but i know in the spring i managed to grab a few browns on the lakeside of the bridge...so it would be cool to see some big guys coming back in the fall.