another force motor wont start thread

dewey123

Hey guys a few weeks ago I had a battery slide up against the metal trandsom area on my boat. At first I had no power looked at the battery and seem it was shorted out against the boat moved it then the engine would only crank and no fire. I looked under the cowling when I got home and found 2 ground wires completely melted and 1 was melted so bad it broke. I can't find any other wires that are grounded out or shorted to other wires. I sprayed starting fluid directly into the carb and it still won't fire so I have to assume I'm not getting spark. I don't know if I fried the coil packs or stator. Plugs are tight and not fouled. Fuel is present fuel filter is clear and battery is charged. Any suggestions would be helpfull

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

dewey,

FWIW, not 100% certain, but I believe an unsecured battery is a CG violation if they ever boarded you for an inspection. You should really have the battery in a battery box and securely strapped to the floor or immobilized in some way..

Tim

it is a coast guard violation. It was strapped down and it was a back in the butt pulling the battery out everytime I put it away because something was drawing current and drained the battery so i just tossed it in the tray but didnt strap it. I have a battery box I have been intending to use, and I bought a battery disconnect switch 2 weeks before as well as a piece of wire to go from battery to switch and didnt get a chance to put it in. costly mistake for being lazy