Snubbers for Kings?

i tried snubbers last year and didnt like them. i seem to lose more fish with them. i have braid divers with 50# power pro. i had a friend in the boat yesterday that is used to fishing snubbers. we hooked a nice king and he grabbed the rod and gave it a roland martin hookset and broke the leader between the dipsy and flasher. thats the first one ive ever broke off. do most guys use snubber for kings? thanks, mark

I haven't used snubbers on diver rods for years. Snubbers may be necessary on cheap, bottom end reels with crappy, jerky drags, but most line counter reels on the market today are pretty good. I use 50 lb mono (Big Game) leaders between the diver and lure and have never had one break.

What reels are you using on your diver rods.

Tim

thanks guys, tim, due to poor planning i wasnt using a heavy enough leader between dipsy and flasher. im gonna bump it up and go to 40# ande. im using daiwa accudepth 47 and 57. best, mark

Forgot to mention I use 40# Seaguar Floro Leader - this allows me to fish without a snubber. Works much better.

Some of my pretide bait, like the bait holders I put my herring strips in, come with lighter leader probably 20#, this is the only time I use a snubber now.

i run snubbers on my set ups, they seem to work fine with not many lost fish.

i also run 30lb wire. I run dream weaver(i think, they are the two rubber bands that are twisted together) snubbers which work alot better than the luhr jensen ones.

I have heard mixed reviews in regards to snubbers but i believe when running steel you need a snubber. It allows some absorbtion when those kings start shaking theirs heads. i also believe that even the expensive reels cant react fast enough to compensate for the head shakes, especially when you have 200-300 feet out.

thanks guys, but what about snubbers when running spoons on dipsies with just a straight 15# leader? i broke off a nice rainbow last summer with that setup without a snubber and thats what got me to try snubbers. best, mark

I also run snubbers my leaders (dreamweaver) for flasher flie is 50lb Seaguar Leader material. 6-10 ft depending on if I'm getting bit or not I start long then I'll go to a shorter one some days they want shorter I changed this up this year.

Spoons I run 30 pound seaguar leader material and still run snubbers.

30-50 pound line doesn't have much stretch I like a little bounce.

We use them (DW). Like to keep my leaders light for good spoon action, and I think it helps at the back of the boat when things get hairy. Have only dropped one fish this year with snubber - this rig was not in the water much for us until the 3 rod rule passed.