Hot Lure: Green Bikini flasher, Green Crinkle A-TOM-MIK fly

Trolling Speed: 1.7 - 2.5

Down Speed: 1.5 - 2.2

Boat Depth: 90-160

Lure Depth: 50-110

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

We knew the severe thunderstorm watch had been issued, but ventured to the launch anyway. The skies didn't look threatening. On the water around 7am, battled some waves heading out and set-up in 85FOW due north of the Mexico Point launch. A lot of marks from 50 down to the bottom. Took advantage of the 3-rod rule today. Had (2) 600' copper lines out and (4) rigger lines down. Had the above mentioned green bikini/A-TOM-MIK combo on (2) riggers and tried some other combos on the other (4) lines. Hard to find any decent temps, but heard kings were appearing in the 60-65 degree water. Trolled north to 120FOW, then turned west towards the plant. Things were slow until about 9am when the green bikini combo fires and we land a small 6.5lb king. Dropped that combo back down. Had one copper hit shortly afterwards but lost it about 100' from the boat. Had the riggers fire a few times but nobody home. Finally, about noon, the same combo that caught the earlier king trips at 65 feet down over 150FOW and appears it was a false release. Not!!! Waited a few seconds and the rod tip bent down to the water and the reel starts screaming. Fitz, my crew member, grabbed the rod and starts to reel in. As I am trying to clear the other lines and get the copper out of the way and grab the net, the monster surfaces, takes one look at us, sees the copper next to it, swims around the copper which cuts the mono, and off it went, combo and all. I thought Fitz was going to throw my rod overboard. Given the size of the king and the pure strength it showed, it was definitely a Top-10 derby fish. No doubt in my mind. It took us both about 10 minutes to calm down and reset everything. Was quiet the rest of the time on the water. Headed in around 1pm. Still frustrated about the big loss, but hopefully be on the water again in the morning in search of Bubba.

Heartbreaking story but it's why we keep going back for more. Thanks for sharing! I was in Juniors getting our 34+ out of the freezer when you guys were parked with the boat out front. I recognized the boat's name & tried to get out & introduce myself but you had already pulled out and around to Woody's. Hopefully you will even up the score with that fish or another one. -Andy

Heartbreaking story but it's why we keep going back for more. Thanks for sharing! I was in Juniors getting our 34+ out of the freezer when you guys were parked with the boat out front. I recognized the boat's name & tried to get out & introduce myself but you had already pulled out and around to Woody's. Hopefully you will even up the score with that fish or another one. -Andy

Shame I left Junior's too soon. It'd have been great to meet you, Andy, and see your 34 pounder. Damn. We were pulling around to Woody's to replace the combo we lost and stock up on more of that Green Bikini flasher. That thing was on fire!! I probably won't be up until late this month or the first weekend in October again. Commitments every weekend this month. Shame none of them are fishing related. I hope to find that monster again or his grandfather before I pull the boat home for the winter. How often are you up at the lake? Would love to meet up and share stories sometime.