Seneca County Buck...

vicarious

Hi my name is Nick,....i hunt the big lot next to the hay farm mike and his nephew hunt.....I have misconceived the news since i heard it i thawt i pushed him that deer on dec. 3rd saturday.....the post is from the day after thanksgiving.....DAAAAAMNNNNNNN i saw droptine thanksgiving morning....ten thiry to be exact i pushed him up @ 60-70 yards in a goldenrod feild and had no shot i gave chase for maybe two hundred yards before he beat me to a woodlot ......so thick i couldnt get a shot.......THE story is about to get crazy....another old timer has rumored to have shot a 13 pointer same genes just no droptine.....just north of the pinegrove Mike Canale hunts in the overgrown goldenrod feild.....Twas saturday the 3rd of december i was walking slowly thru the young woodlot adjacent the the pipeline that seperates the two propertys....I kicked up a BIIIIG buck with a doe.....DROPtine or not i didnt think that there were still two big bucks out there as a 140 and a 150 class typical pair of bucks were taken within the last 3 years that I know of...........I gave chase to the egde of the hay feild that is on the land mike hunts....saw then going into the middle of the pine grove on the tractor lane.....no sooner than had i realized i just jumped a monster again!.....I heard three shots just north of the pines towards the feild......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I though...I didnt recall seeing mikes red truck parked @ Adams' so i wondered whom it was .......MY luck has expired this season....I had maybe a two second window to pull up and shoot on Mikes giant thanksgiving morning but i spent to much time picking up my jaw not the gun.....DAMIT.....and to just realize tonight seeing when they posted the pic , that i pushed yet another 150+ deer to the neighbor on sat......arrrrghhhhh....I need to find virture in PATIENCE......THE walk and stalk never pays off.shoulda stayed in the stand even though i knew these big boys wernt moving during the day.......SEE WHAT I GET!!!!!!! BUT all and all I have some pretty sick storys to tell and no buck on the wall....Looks like its gona be a long winter flyfishing for steelhead to fight off the nightmares of the big "ONES" that got away........................~Nick in G-town

yup in that type of hunting area ya gotta sit,sit,sit and wait for the big boys to mess up,,

some areas here in steuben cty i do stillhunt but im talkin 200 acres pluss woods.

In indiana where we hunt ya sit in one place all day or the same will happen as far as chasin deer to other areas for 4 days i sat dark to dark passed many 130 pluss deer till i saw the one I had seen prior to season....yup my buddy dropped my gun before going out that day and i assumed it was still ok ,,, well it wernt and i liver shot it,it went into a no human zone during season so i have to wait till after the 10th for one of the guys who lives there to retrive my rack it should go 170 or 180 ....thats how important it is to stay outa "secret hangouts" of big bucks during season......ya can sit it out for 2 weeks or regret it for the rest of your life. well for the season at least

8) right! lol I am only 25...ive been hunting the lot next to mike since i was only 13 or 14....just over ten years... I took my first buck and doe on the land last year.....we have always been a strictly shoot only shooter bucks and straglers with bad racks.....no does till the last weekend or so of season....it pays off large bedding lots that are surrounded by both young and old growth and farm land that withing 500 acres this year contained corn, clover, hay, soybeans...and some Bio-logic but thats here nor there!...the gene pool in this block of woods has pumnped out moster bucks since my father was my age and I just have to take it as a lesson learned and sit it out from now on and get my stands closer to the "natural funnels" and easier to get to, as I can so someday I get a chance like mike and a few others in these woods have...! still cant beleive it true beast! 190ish non-typical and all i could do was stare at it for the breif two seconds i should have been shouldering up my gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer::beer::beer:8) ~

:rofl: haha funny guy! yea it was crazy hearing all these storys and seeing pics everywhere.....The buck Mike shot on good friday i saw on thanksgiving ....pushed him up and had no shot. me and my dad heard the rally of shots in the pine grove....never figured nething of it on good friday when u got the biggun'.....Now all along since i saw the pic that said Dec. 3rd on the NYoutdoor site i thawt that was the day Mike shot it.....Because on that saturday mind u not i didnt see mikes truck so i thawt he wasnt there....saw noone in the stand in the south side of the pines and it amazed me when at about 330 or 4 i pushed Yet another GIAAANT im thinking he was the big typical 8 0r 10 ive heard of a couple guys seeing......He ran into the pines with a doe on the tractor trail and less that a min later i heard a full box of shells get empted in the thick goldenrod feild to the north...i beleive the stand u can see from the tracks, in the big willow with a bucket for a seat...IDK if u guys hunt that or if its someone else over there....neway turns out two years ago a typical 150+ during the last week of bow......a 13 pointer this year during bow........Mikes giiiant.......and whoever shot the big one i pushed through the pines....by my count thats 4 and im still seeing some fresh tracks of a mature buck....Crazy Gene pool if i dont say so.....theres alot of scrub bucks running around too.....Im buying a few new stands this winter and really getting my A game on nxt year.....ima sit it out on some of the good thickets and rub lines......No more walk and stalk in early season...cant be letting the big ones get away like this again! Just heard the other day that Mr. Adams got hit by a truck in a crosswalk. I hope all is well and he is okay......till next year!...

My uncle, Mike, wrote up the story for another website, so I'm posting it here for anyone that's interested....

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I first saw what I am pretty sure was this beautiful buck during the 2010 archery season. It was in a meadow, with three other bucks about 200 yards from my tree stand. I was hunting on a small farm about 4 miles north of Geneva, NY. I had never seen such a big antler spread on a deer while hunting, and I never saw four bucks together while hunting.

My lifelong hunting partner and nephew, Brad, and I have hunted this farm for well over a decade and have taken deer there in the archery, shotgun, and black powder seasons over the years. About four years ago, Brad saw a "monster" buck from his stand on the farm long before legal shooting hours. The last few years my oldest daughter, Marla, has been hunting deer with us, and this year, my daughter, Mia, also joined us for some hunts.

We hunted the 2010 shotgun and black powder seasons without seeing a deer on that farm. The memory of that buck stayed with me until the 2011 archery season. I was very careful not to over hunt the farm and to be totally scent free. I only saw a couple deer during the 2011 archery season on that farm, with the best being a 7-point. That was pretty discouraging.

I have had some success with mock scrapes over the years. For the 2011 whitetail seasons, I increased the number of scrapes that I either made or enhanced, adding a pre-orbital gland scent on their respective licking branches. Brad, the girls, and I hunted three days during the 2011 shotgun season without seeing a deer. We were getting very frustrated with no shot opportunities and also hearing lots of shooting on neighboring farms. However, I noticed a big increase in scrape use and new rubs during the first week of the shotgun season.

On Saturday, November 26, Brad, Marla and I were planning to try the farm again. That morning, Marla chose to sleep in, so Brad and I got up early and were in the woods well before first light. I chose to use the tree stand in a pine grove that Marla usually sits in for that morning. I was disappointed that she didn't join us, and frustrated at not getting a shot at any deer on the farm for over a year. Friday evening Brad had noticed my frustration and said, "You have to be in the woods to shoot 'em".

Saturday, the 26th of November, was a warmer than normal morning, with legal shooting to begin around 7:00 am. I was looking to my right at about 7:30 when I sensed that something was moving to my left. As I slowly turned, I saw that a buck had come from the meadow to the west and was traveling down a tractor lane towards one of the scrapes that was about 50 yards east of that stand. I did not know how big of a buck it was, only that it was a "good one".

I stood up when he went behind a couple of trees to adjust my sling and position myself for a good shot. He stepped out behind a bush at about 55 yards and the first shot from my Browning hit him hard in the middle of his chest. He shuddered and tried to run, but couldn't get far as my next two shots left him dead about 30 yards from the stand.

When he dropped is when I first noticed how big his antlers were. That's when I knew it was "him" - the huge buck I had seen only once over a full year ago in that meadow. His head was unable to touch the ground because of the size of his rack. Brad came over after climbing down from his stand and we both counted and recounted his 18 points including two almost identical drop tines. We were shocked at how big his antlers were!

I wish Marla was in that stand that morning, she is a good shot and may have had the thrill of having him in her cross hairs. I feel very fortunate that that beautiful animal came close enough for me to have the opportunity to harvest him.

Mr. Robert Estes, an official scorer for the Boone and Crockett Club, and the New York State Big Buck Club, green scored this "buck of a lifetime" on December 8. It had a Non-Typical green score of 194-4 net and 203-2 gross. The main beams were 26", with an inside spread of 20-2".

Several people said it was an older deer, and that it probably had a larger body weight and antlers a year or two ago. It weighed 158 pounds dressed at the deer processors. I am anxious to see it mounted. Hopefully I can get my wife to agree to put it over the fireplace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 months later...

Bob Estes, an official scorer from Boone and Crockett, officially dry-scored the buck after its 60 day drying period. It qualified for Boone & Crockett liftetime as a non-typical with 210-6 Gross and 201-4 Net.

Here is a pic of the mount...

image.jpg