Kicker w/power mount

stinger

I started this thread because a board member showed some interest in mounting brackets on angled transoms during a kicker engine topic and I didn’t want to get off topic in that thread.

Although there are several ways to skin the cat I chose to go this route. As you’ll see in the pictures below, the transom on my Arima is different than most boats out there. Adding a kicker can be a little more difficult than on most boat.

The mount I have is a Electro-Hydraulic lift system. It’s built like a battleship. I’ve had it in service since September of 2007 and haven’t had any trouble with it and worth the money IMO.

Even though it’s a solid unit I do support my kicker with a tie down strap when tailoring. The main engine has auto pilot and the kicker is tied into the main for steering while trolling using this connector rod >

http://www.cabelas.com/boat-steering-au ... ds-1.shtml ...the kicker is electric start and I use a TrollMaster for throttle control.

A big concern was extending the kicker to far back behind the boat and not being able to swing a downrigger behind the kicker. I use Big Jon electrics and with the 4' boom it does swing around the kicker while trolling.

Another concern is getting the prop out of the water when the boat is on plane. I have a short shaft kicker and the prop is out of the water while on plane and is far enough in the water to troll with. A nice thing about this bracket is that it will stop at any position between full up and full down so trimming it up or down for sea conditions is possible and easy.

This is the link to the bracket that is on my boat and it should give you all the info you’ll want and also contact info if needed. Besides the 2500-1 Bracket, I used the SAP-1 multi angle adaptor for the angle of the transom.

http://www.jrmarineproducts.com/

These 3 views show the position of the kicker in relation to the hull. Remember, the up-down motion of the bracket is a infinite stop unit wherever you would like it positioned. Sorry, I don't have any pics with the downrigger on.

Side view, kicker up

IMG_0251.jpg

Side view, kicker down

IMG_0250.jpg

Rear view, kicker up

IMG_0246.jpg

Nice set-up. We're newbies (1 season) in a 18ft 1979 Starcraft Sport with a 120hp Mercury Force outboard and want to add a transom-mounted kicker, connected to the main so it can be steered from the helm. The boat and motor weigh about 2500 lbs.

How big a kicker do we need if we want to use it as the primary for trolling and backup if the main dies? A 9.9 seems like overkill with this size and weight; we're looking at a new 5.5 4-stroke.

Your link to the Cabela's connecting rods is perfect; we'll probably go there or with Panther Marine. We'd like throttle control at the helm as well - are the main choices Control King or Troll Master?

Are we stuck manually tilting the kicker unless we go with a dedicated electric/hydraulic unit, which is out of our price range?

I’m not familiar with the Starcraft Sport transom but wouldn’t a kicker fit next to the main engine on the transom? If so then you won’t need a bracket.

I would recommend that you get into the 9.9hp engine regardless of how you have to mount it. I don’t think the 9.9's are a overkill. They have 2 cylinders and will run a lot smother than those single cylinder 5's. Also you’ll always be able to use the 9.9 on any other boat from a 12'er up to those in the low 20'ers. Besides you have to think ahead for your next upgrade :smirk:.

Post a picture of your boat/transom if you have one. Maybe some of the other guys here have already set one up and can give you some ideas.

I have a similar setup on my 19.5 sea nymph with a manual tilt 4 stroke tohatsu 9.8 tiller and a control king. The 9.8 pushes my boat 7-8 mph at full throttle in ideal lake conditions, when it's snotty out there maybe 5mph. It will troll from sun up to sun down on 3 to 3.5 gallons (12 or so hours) at 2.5mph.

I personally wouldn't want any less than a 9.8 kicker. You never know what the lake's gonna throw at you and you don't want to get stuck in a storm without a main motor and too small of a kicker.

You will want electric start if you plan on charging your batteries with the kicker and most companies don't offer that in small hp motors. If you go with a tiller model you can easily remove it for storage or use on another boat.

The manual tilt isn't that big of deal, once it's down you only have to bring it up when you're going to make a run to another spot or into port. If you live close to a cabelas, the bargain cave usually has a control king or 2 on the shelves. The Wheeling WV store had 3 as of mid January.

My transom has just enough room for both engines, no bracket needed. I have the atwood steering connectors which are basically the same as the cabelas brand. Works fine.

No issues with the tohatsu and it's pretty quiet. Best price I found was from: http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu- ... A3EFL.html