Walker electric vs manual

mcsteve

Hey all. I just purchased a new 20ft legend and had them outfit it with an electric walker rigger. I have a manual one from my last boat that I am told can be upgraded with an electric package. I never really had any issues with the manual and was looking for opinions on if it makes sense to do the upgrade. They charge about 250 to do it.

Any advise?

Steve

You're really going to see the difference when you use manual and electric in combination. It won't take long for you to decide to switch to all electric. Manual are dinosaurs; they limit the ball weight, decrease number of lure changes and trolling depth, increase blow-back with use of lighter weights, and the list goes on and on. A young stud, low on funds, might convince himself that manual are adequate for him, but electric makes the fishing more enjoyable and that alone should/will make it more productive.

The Walker brand and the cost to upgrade are other topics. You'll have to decide them without my input. Hope you meant the upgrade is to change to an electric model, not to convert the manual one to an electric one. I wouldn't convert.

New boat, new rigger- you're hooked. I forsee you spending a lot of cash in the future, just like the rest of us. Don't react to every new product as a must have. Continue to ask questions and evaluate before deciding to buy. Cash is hard to come by, but easy to spend-fishing catches fishermen mostly. No one has all of the answers.

A buddy of mine says that BOAT stands for Break Out Another Twenty and I would have to agree. The boat won't be ready for pickup until mid April and I'm already finding myself cruising the Bass Pro catalogue. This isn't my first boat but it is a few feet larger than the last one. Sold it 6 years ago and have regretted it ever since. This will hopefully bring the sanity back :)

The difference quoted is to convert the manual rigger to an electric. Is there potential problems with this? I was told that it is the same casing and body, just the internal workings are different.