Newbie Needing Advice!

Live hour and a half from watertown and going to try my hand at lake Ontario. I usually fish the st Lawrence river near massena Ny. To help out I'm going to buy 2 cannon downriggers. They are 129.99 and come with 100 steel wire and an 8 pound ball. Will I need anything else? In the summer will the 100 ft of wire be enough? Never used downriggers before so I'm a total Noob. Is watertown/sacketsi Barbour a good starting spot? If not withered should I launch at? Any tips or advise greatly appreciated on location or equipment. Id like to do browns and salmon this year. Thanks!

Save your money and get unitrolls at a min. You need at least 12lb weights for deep kings. I would get 2 wire diver setups before id drop money on riggers. Wire divers take the most kings everytime out for me. Take a charter to make sure its what you really want to do.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Save your money and get unitrolls at a min. You need at least 12lb weights for deep kings. I would get 2 wire diver setups before id drop money on riggers. Wire divers take the most kings everytime out for me. Take a charter to make sure its what you really want to do.

How deep do they go by summer? I wasn't wanting to spend a lot so I was going with the basic at first. I have no experience with divers either. Can you link me to that product? Thanks for all info! I'm trying to learn.

Just google walker deeper diver or luhr Jensen Dipsey diver. I second running dipseys over riggers. Just make sure you spool your reels with stainless trolling wire line. You can buy them preloaded from a-tom-mic. He sells dipseys too.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate everything I can get. I googled the divers and it seems that the downriggers would be more precise but the pricier option. Since I'm not concerned with the price, I'll go with the 2 downriggers, which will help me get deeper this summer. I'll also buy some divers to experiment. Is there any other equipment I'll need? I have the poles, the downriggers comes with 100ft cable and an 8 pound ball. Another poster stated 12 pound at least so I will upgrade there. Anything else? I read alot on releases, is the releases part of a dr package? Again, total noob. Appreciate the help.

What downriggers are you looking at? The cannons with the skinny booms wont hold a 12lb weight. 100 ft of cable out with a 8 lb weight would get you down 75 ft if your lucky. That's no joke. I get tons of blowback with 15 lb torpedo if I go over a 100 down

What downriggers are you looking at? The cannons with the skinny booms wont hold a 12lb weight. 100 ft of cable out with a 8 lb weight would get you down 75 ft if your lucky. That's no joke. I get tons of blowback with 15 lb torpedo if I go over a 100 down

I was considering 2 of these and upsizing to a 12 pound ball.....

http://www.basspro.com/Cannon-LakeTroll ... 1035/72265

Would these not be good?

I was considering 2 of these and upsizing to a 12 pound ball.....

http://www.basspro.com/Cannon-LakeTroll ... 1035/72265

Would these not be good?

Those wont hold a 12lb ball

•Retrieve rate: 1' per minute

•Weight capacity: 8 lbs.

•Clutch brake system

•18'' copolymer boom

cranking up a 12lb or even 8lb ball 100' with manual riggers is not that fun. stick with dipsy diver rods and magnum dipsys with the o-rings.i took 2 trips with sean aboard the reelhooked up and he showed me alot. 1 trip with my manual riggers and i sold them and purchased a pair of big jon electrics off ebay.if you check the classifieds on this site there is 2 electric cannons for $350.00.good luck and tight lines

Those have a boom cap of 8 or 10 lbs I believe. Iewouldn't run 12 lb balls on them. The unitrolls are what you want. Im telling you this honestly you do not need riggers to catch fish. Wire divers out produced my Riggers probably 10 to one last yr. The only reason I even run Riggers is cause of the probe and another line in the water that really doesn't get in the way

Dipseys on wire line with flashers/flies. Downriggers with stinger size spoons. Then run a mag size spoon on a slider rig...take a 15 ft piece of floro or mono and tie a swivel on each end. Put spoon on one side...then clip other to your line (after it is set). Flip spoon out in the water and let slide down. Or you can fasten it with a half hitched rubber band to keep it at a certain depth as you lower the ball with main line attached.

Im sure you could but let's say you have a 3 oz bottom bouncer with a ff in tow. How much line needs to be let out for it to be at 67 ft down? Do you know? Cause I sure don't. Riggers you will know where your at exactly. Wire divers you can pretty much know where you are give or take 5-7ft. Copper and leadcore you will know give or take 10-12ft. Now I fish the east end so the guys from the west might have even tried bottom bouncers out at the bar. But mid july last yr most fish were 70-160hiring down over anywhere from 90 to 500ft. Knowing what depth your fishing at all times is key.

They are not heavy enough nor can you figure out how deep your lines are running. In the summer, salmon are usually suspended near the thermocline over very deep water. An example would be to mark fish 60-80 feet down over 250 feet of water on a typical July day. With dipseys you can guestimate how far down your lures are running by an unscientific rule of every 3 ft of wire line out gets you 1 ft in depth. So you might start running your dipseys back 200 ft back. Then if you see marks on your fishfinder at 80 feet down, you let another 25 feet of line out to get down deeper. The dipseys are stealthier than a downrigger because your lines are further away from the boat. If you want to catch salmon on the cheap...buy two tite-lok rod holders, a good fishfinder with gps speed, two of those wire dipsey combos and a few flasher/fly combos. Last summer was my first year trolling for salmon and i got hits or caught fish every time out on my dipsey rods. Downriggers were not as fruitful.