Well I am itching to get up to the lake but with only a 16ft boat and the wind forecast for the weekend it doesn't look like I will be able to fish the lake, so I was thinking of trying the Black River. Has anybody heard anything from up around that area within the last couple days. I am hoping that the little bit of rain they had yesterday might help bring some fish into the river. My fall fishing time is limited to the next 2 or 3 weekends so I hate not being able to get up on one of my free weekends. I could also stick to the Oswego Harbor if the winds aren't that bad. I know the winds forecast can change but I want to try and keep a couple options open.

Thanks,

baytech

I am familiar with the Black River. Right now you could catch some of the very early run Kings in the river. It is a night bite, especially in the AM right before the sun rises. During the day you can cast your arm off without a hit. There are walleyes in the Black right now, but many are throwbacks. My favorite for the salmon in the Black is the largest jointed shad rap in the firetiger color. Bring some extra trembles. The big boys run up first....set your drag if your using braided line which I suggest.

Thanks for the info Kingfish,

I have fished the river before, either setting anchor under the bridge or trolling the large hole at the launch or further down the river. Just like you said I have had some success with large rapalas, J-11 or shadraps. I have also caught salmon on flatfish. Instead of bringing extra trebles I beef up all my rings and trebles with heavier hardware.

I hope I can get out on the last at leat one day. If the wind stays out of the south I should be ok. If not I will be in dexter or the oswego harbor.

baytech