Hot Lure: spoons

Trolling Speed: 2.5 - 3.0

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 160

Lure Depth: 90

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Saturday the weather made fishing alone in an 18’ boat kind of tough but I ran out to 185’ it took me almost an hour to get out there but I figured running out and trolling in with the waves was my only shot. I pointed the boat SE towards Oswego and setup a spoon 90’ down on the port side rigger, Spin doctor and fly 80 ‘ down on the Starboard side with the same setup on a port side wire dipsy out 225. On the first pass I went 2 for 2 small kings. Second pass was 2 for 4 with a nice king around 15 lbs. Sunday was a little nicer and I had heard chatter that everything was working in water 200’ to 225’ so that’s where I headed. I setup the same pattern and trolled SE again I hit one small king first thing but nothing for an hour so I decided to keep heading in. Once I hit 160' the rods started going off. I boated 2 out of 4 in the next hour releasing the smaller kings and keeping two in the 18 and 19 lb. range. I lost a much nicer fish maybe 40 feet from the boat on the wire rod but other than that all the bigger fish hit the spoons. Total for the weekend 7 out of 11 in under six hours of fishing! That’s pretty good fishing if you ask me and it was nice getting back up to the big pound. I hope I can get back again soon with some help next time.

:yes: Nice job. You did well for being solo. What kind of 18footer do you have? I have a sylvan 18 sportsman thats been in 3-4's, that's not fun. The hardest part seems to be going thru the chute to get out.

TJ

I have an 18' starcraft open bow deep V with a 120 hp Inboard. Its new to me this year and smaller than what I am used to but its easy to trailer so hopefully I will be back more often. I normally fish Cayuga and was impressed that the boat did as well as it did. Your right its not easy but I did have fun!

Forever Young is a 1979 18' Starcraft open bow deep V with a 120 hp outboard - I feel your pain. I don't see either of us trying solo in more than a one foot chop; 3-4 footers are what sent us flying for port past Jolly a few weeks ago. :lol:

LOL. reminds me of a story...

about 34 years ago I would go out in my 14ft deep v starcraft (a green one) with a 15hp engine and two cannon mini troller downriggers lol. Obviously it would have to be a no wave day..

Well this one morning it was beautiful, little or no chop..me and my buddy hop in and fire out the chute of fair haven. We go out to 120feet of water with the big boys. Here we are fishing in the midst of these clowns and they are looking at us (cause it was tight fishing that year) in total disgust...

Now we have our life jackets on, and were trollin with our mni trolls. two lines lol...As we pass by this one boat(Mr. Im a hardcore with 25 rods) he calls out on his speaker (you guys shouldnt be here, get a real boat)....

And then BAM! FISHON! Big one...Here we are laughing as we are fighting this huge fish (again, beautiful day no waves and fishin was slow...These guys in the big boat are watching us fighting this fish.I fight the fish or a few minutes and pass the rod to by buddy sitting up front. He tires it out and we pull in with our ****ty net a 29 pound king...

Back then that was a mid size king 30's were common back then...We clean up our act and before we head in I shout back to the guy...

"Your boats too big and vibrates too much...On a calm day your not gonna get nothin lol..

back then there was no internet or cell phones. but I have the photo on my door in the basement...

Lol , I dont think too many had the pleasure of bringing a summer king in a 14 ft deep v lol...I mean..you aint got much room in the middle of that boat. There's a bench seat there, and when it thrashes along with the old rickety net its pretty hilarious..All ya see is tail flippin around. Even with two in the boat on a calm day it aint calm say the least..

Sure bigger boats are alot easier....well sometimes lol

WLE1hPnyHyo