Flourocarbon leaders?

On riggers...15 Lb Seagar....On dipseys I run 20# Seagar.....If I'm running Attractors and flies I use 30#.

Length for riggers I usually use 8-10 ft....Divers, I use as long as possible and still able to get the fish to the back of the boat to net......

On riggers...15 Lb Seagar....On dipseys I run 20# Seagar.....If I'm running Attractors and flies I use 30#.

Length for riggers I usually use 8-10 ft....Divers, I use as long as possible and still able to get the fish to the back of the boat to net......

I have a question maybe stupid but none the less and I hope I didn't hijack your post Curro, but if Flourocarbon is supposed to be invisible why do guys downsize on the leaders...? I've heard of some guys going with the 20 or 30 lb big game and then going with a 15lb leader...just wondering is all.

Tom

Reason #1: Fleas. By using a larger line such as 30 lb Big Game as a main line, you reduce the amount of fleas you attract. Fleas latch on the vertical run of your main line. The down-sized leader will be completely behind your rigger release in a horizontal attitude and no fleas (well, extreamly few) will collect.

Reason #2: Heavier line such as 25-30lb Big Game takes more abuse than does 15lb line between the rod tip and release when set.

Reason #3: Lighter leaders and swivels result in more spoon action.