Surface Temp:

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 30-35

Total Boated: 19

Species Breakdown: All Kings except one Steel

Hot Lure: Various Big weenie meat rigs with meat & MC Rockets, Big Weenie flies: Spook, Last Brunch, Blue Weenie, Dominator

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed: 2.1-2.4

Boat Depth: 180-210

Lure Depth: 120-190

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Took my son and nephew out derby fishing in the bay for the weekend. Both days turned out to be a little more sporty than the weatherman was calling for, making boat control and speed a little more challenging. For that reason, and that I was the only adult on the boat Saturday, I kept the program simple and ran a 5 rod spread early and cut it back to a 4 rod spread as the sun got high and we went deeper.

We probably had a 50/50 ratio catch between meat and flies, and I took just as many hits on MC Rockets as I did on real meat.

As stated in the other reports, fish and temp was deep, so I had my Walker Deeper Divers out 325 to 425 and riggers were between 120 and 190. paddles were both 8 & 10" spinnies and 8" Pro Trolls. I never put out and big paddles figuring it would just make it harder on the kids pulling in the fish.

We never got our derby fish, as our biggest to hit the deck was around 25, but we had a couple real bruisers on that we were not able to land. The temp came up about 20 feet or so on Sunday.

Here are a few pics of the boys trip:

2012-06-30_11-14-30_271.jpg

2012-07-01_17-57-01_578.jpg

2012-07-01_17-59-05_325.jpg

Sunday's 1 foot or less...lol

2012-07-02_13-04-17_152.jpg

I forgot to mention that I used Erie Dearie Premium bait strips for the first time this year and it's a great product!! Jon's Little Salmon in Mexico should have a new supply for the weekend. It's actually Ballyhoo and and it holds up for two to three fish per strip....unlike the "other" stuff. It's great and the kings slammed it :yes: Black death uv was my best Big Weenie meat rig, followed by the Ludington destroyer. MC rockets were #1 and the Silver Bullet. Mags seemed to out perform Regulars.

I ant never seen a ballyhoo fillet like that.. i actually ran a ballyhoo from fla the other day keeped it down for a little while nuttin hit it..common down around the first of jan when they come in to spawn their fun to catch on sabaki rigs....been thinkin of shuttin down on some bait up here and droppin a line for fresh bait...next year im bringing home a block of chum and if conditions are right gonna shut down over some good marks and try the jiggin or might even bring some of their ancesters food (shrimp) could be some fun if it works..hmm maybe this fall when good numbers are in 40 fow or so drop the anchor..

I ant never seen a ballyhoo fillet like that.

I know, and I didn't even realize it was ballyhoo till Jon told me. Then I looked at the package and sure enough it says Ballyhoo right on the package. Erie Dearie also sells herring, but the herring strips are smaller. I fished a pack of each....didn't make a difference. I also fished MC Rockets on one side of the boat and meat on the other....with Rockets taking equal hits. That just tells me it's not the scent....it's the death roll that attracts the fish and triggers the strike :)