Evinrude overheating

Trap Jaw

I just picked up an old Starcraft center console that I thought had minor issues. Engine is an '80's 90hp v4, VRO, oil already disconnected. The hot engine alarm is activating after a few minutes. Sensor must be working right since it takes a few minutes to trip. Here is where the fun begins. Is there something other than the thermostat that might be causing this, impeller just replaced and pumping fine. The problem is the bolts for the thermo. housing are completely corroded. If it does end up being the thermostat I'm not seeing much in options other than pulling the powerhead to gain access to the bolts to get a screw extractor on them.

I have an early 90s Johnson v4. What I did to get at the thermostat bolts is to use a roto zip to cut holes in the lower cowl. Now I use large rubber washers and fender washers to plug the holes.

[ Post made via iPhone ][M/b] iPhone.png

Make sure your intake screens are clear, your housing is not melted or wear cup spun, and that you have the water tube properly installed.

If your previous impeller was completely toasted the you almost always have to replace the housing and may get chunks of rubber plugging up the water tube and passages.

Is the engine really getting hot? or just the alarm sounding. i.e. faulty alarm. You may want to pull the exhaust cover plates to make sure a port or two is not plugged with bits of the old impeller.

Tom B.

(LongLine)