Probe rigger release.

I have a cannon probe and have always used the scotty release that uses a longline clamp to hold the release to the DR cable. Problem is this release does kink the cable over the period of a weeks use. I haven't lost any gear to the kink but always suspect there is potential. The set up basically goes like this. Weight, snap swivel terminated to DR line. The probe attaches to the line above the snap swivel. If I use a blacks release on the end of the DR cable it puts the release below the probe (not good). Any other suggestions? I'm not to familiar with all the various releases available as I had always used Cannon, Scotty clamp (light grade, which do not effect cable) and now Chamberlain for local fishing. Chamberlain is my favorite locally but I don't know if they would hold a FF, besides the position for these would be the same as the blacks, below the probe. I have used a Roemer stacker and will likely try one of them to help my situation. I also rigged up a chamberlain to the Roemer body for stacking. It works pretty good. Again I am not sure a chamberlain will hold a FF combo. Maybe I just answered my own question, use a Roemer above the probe.

Anyway if anyone has any other suggestion let me know. I have read something about blacks release between stop beads but have no idea what a stop bead is.

Thanks for any help.

Spike

I like a Captain Jacks on a 6 or 8 inch leader with either another Captain jacks or a Scotty on the other end. You can clamp the one Captain jacks down on the cable really tight (tighter than what the other release with your mono will be) and it won't hurt the coated cable.

Use a Klincher release on the DR cable. This release has a large snap on the bottom which attaches to the probe and/or weight (putting the release above the probe/weight).

Moor subtrol uses a modification of this release. There have been many posts made that reference the Klincher Release, just run a search.

Or Google search it, and you can get a diagram of it and where to purchase locations.

The release has a tensioner knob for adjusting amount of pull to trip it.

No krimps needed either.

I use it on my Cannon DRs which have a cannon cable terminator to enable the quick-stop to function. The Klincher is attached to the bottom of the terminator, then the probe, then the weight.

I've used this release with both a Moor and FishHawk probes.

i use a roemer, with my cannon probe and for that matter with my other downrigger, i love them, especially with flasher flies, my hook ups are always there, only issue i have had was the release sliding up the wire when i went to set it, all i do now is put a split shot above the release as a stopper, hey splits work on mono and dont break it and works great on the wire with no problems, the lead is soft on a split