Cayuga Jigging Report 7/19 - 7/21

First of all a Big thanks again @hermit who pointed us in the right direction over by Wells College and saved us going all the way to AES for the remainder of the week...

7/19 - It took us 1 hour of putting around but eventually we found the Baitfish Pod we were looking for... We started over by wells college and followed the 100FT mark north for an hour untill we found the baitpod in-front of what looks like a large white farmhouse straight North of Wells College. As soon a we found it we dropped our Jigs and the bite was on.... we boated 5 fish total and we managed to return two of them unharmed... Two came within the first hour and the rest in the next 2 hours.... The largest one we pulled in last....

24" 26" and 28" Fish below...

The 28" weighed in at 7LBS and unfortunately we were unable to get it untangled from the net in time.... (I bought a rubber net yesterday 7/22). This is the largest fish I have ever caught :)

photo.jpg

photo_1.jpg

photo_1.jpg

7/20 - We went back to the same spot we had found the baitpod yesterday (I marked the GPS Coordinates on my iPhone) but the bait was nowhere in sight. However we figured the fish could still be there so we dropped our lines and ended up boating 2 lakers... both under 22" and returned unharmed.

7/21 - We decided to try something different and headed over to Deans cove but the wind was real strong and the topography over there makes it hard to stay anywhere near the 100FT mark... We found some baitfish but also found it impossible to stay anywhere near them due to the wind and drift... We ended up heading back over to our sweet spot north of wells but landed no fish this day... They had moved and the wind was too strong to find them. Next job is to find a way to mount a trolling motor on the front of the boat...

Thanks again to everyone who has helped me out these past few weeks. Our vacation is over now and its back to the everyday grind... Definitely looking forward to getting some Jigging in on the weekends though :)

I have had problems releasing fish in the past because they float after bringing them up from the depths. Some things I have done to help are: 1- Bring them up slowly 2- When they get near the surface let some line out and let them run. Watch for air bubbles to escape. 3- Use a fish gripper rather than a net. When you grip the bottom lip it holds a lot better than I would expect. Glad you have been having some luck. Just like everything else, the more time you spend jigging the better results you will have.