Keuka Jigging 8-2-12

Took my two nephews (8 & 13) out for a quick morning trip. Got a late start due to them wanting to sleep in. Fished over 120 FOW on E side 2-3 miles from HPort and marked bait but not a lot of fish. Dropped to bottom in/around the bait and got them to come up off the bottom but most would not chase far. Oldest caught and released one LT about 17" and the youngest nephew managed one just shy of 22". He had to bring it home for dinner since this was his first truly unassisted catch. Thought for sure his rod and reel were going overboard!

Patrick_22_inch.jpg

guff and gonefishing71 were the one's that told me about this set up:

1oz trolling sinker with a treble on one end (via split ring). Slide sinker into soft plastic tube bait and tie to leader. Could also use a single hook in place of the treble to cut back on fish damage if you plan on catch/release. So far I have had no issues with the treble though.

A couple of more items on this set-up. 1- It can be hard to get the sinker up inside the tube. I use a bait needle (used to hook up sawbellies) and hook to front end of trolling sinker then push up into tube. Gives you something to hold on to. Also getting tube and sinker wet lubricates the system. 2- If the LT are massacring the tube and the treble is getting down inside them (not very often) we have taken wire cutters and cut off one of the treble hooks thus leaving a 2 hook setup. 3- This set up works well because the treble ends up hidden in the tube skirt and it is pretty hard for the LT to hit it without getting hooked.

I used this setup quit a bit in the beginning, however I have not used it in quit a while

I was getting horrible hookup rates with the cheap bass pro jigs I had, the hooks were horrible, :no::no: this system helped because I could buy good treble hooks

I got some of Hermits jigheads and now thats all I'm useing, them hooks are sharp, and thinner, really helps with setting the hook :yes: you should see my poor thmbs :rofl::rofl: