conesus algae

I was at Black Lake last week and it looked like pea soup literally and they were advertising to be careful cause the toxic blue green algae was present. The fishing was horrible besides. I am not sure if the cold will make the toxic stuff disappear. I think I read something where it might remain for awhile.

Here are some excerpts from a NYSDOH official statement on the Cyanobacteria, or Blue Green Algae.

"The Cyanobacteria is very unpredictable, and it's inborn toxins called Microcystins can cause liver, neural and respiratory problems if ingested, but the common effects are vomiting and diarrhea. The toxins are released when the bloom dies off, but the toxins remain in the water column. Swimming is not advised during this time, body parts should be washed as soon as possible after contact,and handling of fish, ropes, anchors, etc. necessitates washing hands also. Although no human deaths have been reported, several dogs have died on Lake Champlain and have been linked to the Cyanobacteria".

Heavy blooms are now on Chautauqua Lake and the Middle Lake on Cassadaga. Note also: Heavy rains break up the bloom but the toxins will remain.This was posted on my site by Chuck Bataglia,Cassadaga Lakes Assoc. Lakes Manager.

i did a little reading about it. i read the toxins are released when it dies from cold weather and heavy rains. the toxins that wash up on the shore can live for up to 5 months. i fish with a dog all the time now so i guess i'll stay clear of there.