Another cheater question

So I guess I should start by thanking all of you for introducing me to cheaters. I started running them this year, and love it. Helped me take my first rainbows just last weekend on a MUP rig. My questions is, am I crazy for wanting to run multiple fixed cheaters on the same line? I'm limited to two only two downriggers and I'm not a huge fan of stacking thus why I'm asking. I fish the fingers, and it seems like a nice technique for locating fish.

Thanks again for all the help

Alex,

You would probably end up with a mess, lets say you had 2 cheaters one at 60 one at 50 and the main line at 70 and you catch a fish on the one at 50 I would say that the other cheater and the main line would probably get all rapped up when reeling in the fish. On the bright side you could simply cut the line and make up some new ones after you get the fish in. I definately wouldn't run anything that spins like a spin doctor or flasher on any of the lines if your gonna run more than 2. Another option would be a Seth Green rig...do a google search on it and see what you think, the only thing with a Seth Green and personally I have never used one, is that it seems it would be hard to fish one by yourself because you have to take each leader off as you bring the fish in.

Tom

Another option to you to add more lures to the spread you're prospecting with might be to add a dipsie rod(s). It will give you another lure running off the side of your boat away from the noise. You will learn how to adjust it for depth and can fish it the same, higher, or lower that your rigger lures. Or add planer boards to get copper or leadcore out to the side of the boat.

All of these things are discussed regularly on this site. The big boats usually run all or most of these options at the same time, because they can. They have the knowledge, experience, and most critically, enough manpower. You are more limited, like me, but these options are available to you to use in moderation.

In-line planers or mast and big board could be used. Each has it's own advantages and the cost would be significantly different. Also in the inventory might be the use of jet divers on the lines off the big boards.

Botton line is that you should get very good at one tactic first. Then add another tactic to the spread and get very good at that also. KISS! (Keep It Simple Stupid) The object is to enjoy what you are doing and that enjoyment becomes magnified as you get more successful.

Thanks guys, I do run inline boards with leadcore as well. The wire dipsy thing is something I have been looking into, but not much room left in the boat for more holders also they intimidate me some haha. Hopefully, I will figure something out, it seems to be a productive setup.

I agree with BrokeOff, wire Dipsy is the way to go this time of the year.

The guys on this forum basically talked me into it earlier this season.

I wish I could run one out each side. However, I allways fish alone and my boat only has a 73" beam. This can present problems with multiple lines out the sides. My normal setup is rigger with cheater, wire dipsy at 2 1/2 on the same side and core out the other side, sometimes with additional weight. This way I can bring a fish in on the core side, which is out 50+ feet from the side of the boat. Doesn't matter what line was hit as I have clearance on the core side.

Most of the summer the fish have been on the wire/dipsy or rigger. It seems some days they prefer one over the other. Most of the summer the core has been quiet even thoughI have marked fish in the top 30 or so feet.

However, starting a week or so ago in shallower water (70-100 feet), I have been picking up a few fish on the core, both Kings and Browns.

Hope the wind dies down so I can get back out. I really need a bigger boat but at my age 71 I'm not going to make that plunge. At least I can fish any day I want, weahter permitting.

Trout Bum