Favorite copper set-ups

Sorry...I know this has been discussed to some degree. I just want to get it right. I'm revamping my copper set-ups, and as I look into reels, I'm struggling on which is the best choice for the 600 37lb?

Penn 345 GTI (gear ratio isn't very good)

Shimano Tekota 800 (great gear ratio....but fits much less backer)

Okuma T-50L (worse gear ratio than the penn)

Seems like that's about it for level wind reels. How much backer do you see as the minimum? Is the shimano an option for the 600? Seems to me with the kings we caught on the 500 & 600....they get tired pretty quick on copper and don't burn off that much line anyway. Can't say I've had one take more than 150- 200 ft of backer out.

Since everyone seems to "be busy" when the 600 copper fires except me, I'm really interested in a faster retrieval.

So what do you guys think is the #1 reel for the 600...all things considered?

Thanks,

Rod

The 345 GTi is about the only real choice for 600' of 45# copper. Gear ratio stinks, but it's a bomber reel. 300 yards of 50# power pro backing is what we put on ours. I'm told that the Shimano 800 won't hold all that line and backer.

I've been talking with the Daiwa rep and there's some discussion of a high capacity level wind with a line counter possibly coming from the saltwater line over the winter. It would be based off of one of the Saltist reels....

salt_main.jpg

It's still in the discussion stages though. Gear ratio would be in the 4.9:1 range...anyone else think that's a good sounding combo????

Wow, what a great sounding reel that would be! One can only hope. If there is even a chance they would come out with that reel by spring, I best hold off on my purchase. Thanks for the info Billy.

I'm just curious as to what the absolute minimum you guys think would be required for backer? Any of you have a fish take more than a 1-2 hundred feet on a full 600 set-up? Most I've battled didn't take 100 ft, but I can remember one hog (okay...so it was only #15, but it fought like a hog :$ ) that may have taken 150 to 200.

Is 900 feet really needed? Truthfully, there is no way I'm letting a fish take even 300 ft of backer out when I've already got 600 of copper in the water. I'm clamping down the drag at about 250 max and saying let the best carnivore win.

This past year we ran Diawa Sealine 400h & 600h reels and they were fine, but not being level wind they wore you down.

Maybe I should see if they would sponsor me for a couple of them to try out? It might just be the shiz-nizzle for next year. I can see all the people asking questions at the Pro/am's. " Hey, whats with thoes red things on your reels??" Doctors orders so I dont have a heart attack, would be my reply.

Just dreaming till next fishing season.

GO SOX!!!!

Heres some good info:

http://spoonpullers.proboards42.com/ind ... 692&page=1

One option some of the more experienced copper guys have been satisfied with to get closer to that magic 600' set-up is to use a Tekota 800 to the max capacity with 500' of .037 copper (It's not 600' but eliminates the 345GTi's issues)

I rigged a few of these as custom outfits upon request with minimal complaints, we beefed up the PP backing to 65# to crank down on the King if need-be. A Tekota 800 will hold about 400 feet of it (The albright knot will tick the frame)

To answer the question is 900' of backer really necessary, I would say yes it is a very good bet, taking each variable into consideration just gives you a better piece of mind while your trolling around with $50+ worth of gear in the water: Copper/leader/lure/attractor/fly/ etc. "per rig"

1) In hopes to utilize the backer ($20 to $30) for an entire season, re-rigging on occasion and such, losing a bit of backer here and there each time you re-tie or untangle.

2) Most if not all of the experienced copper guys will use as many as 2 to 3 copper rigs in the water at all times come "King Season" having enough backing to run the copper rigs out to your big boards is starting you off with up to 60 to 100 ft of backer out before your King strikes.

900' of backer is definitely not required, just strongly recommended for best results. Think about your normal landing percentage when fishing Kings from wire, riggers etc., fishing copper is mush less to begin with, your only going to hurt your odds.

The reason we rigged the heavier backing with the guys wanting to load the Tekotas to the max was to be able to apply the brakes if you had to and still have a good chance of not busting something, the 65# came with good reviews, but you still needed the experience to crank down on the fish, or to turn your boat in traffic at times with a shorter amount of "cushion". (The 65# idea came from Tim Dawidiuk: Howie Fly)

With the experiences I have been confronted with fishing copper, from tourney time to pleasure or derby fishing, the biggest run from a King would be in the 5 to 600' category)

Think about some of the more familiar explosive wire diver strikes, times when a super aggressive 23 to 26 King will take your wire out to 900 ft when you started at 300' of wire out, that's a good run.

Something else comes to mind with that idea of dragging around a $50 bill, is that of hooking up to another boat like we did during a Pro/Am, if it wasn't for adequate backing we would have never been able to turn, then chase the boat down to unleash our goods connected to theirs (Right Bill !!! (: (: (: )

Tom

Those are really great points Tom. I didn't run the copper off the boards this year, and never gave that a thought. I plan on running it off the boards next year, and I'll certainly have to take that into account, so thanks for pointing that out.

My expierence is that Salmon don't run on the copper like they do with wire, but maybe I just haven't hooked up with the right salmon on the copper yet :lol:

Thanks for all the great insight Tom, and the rest of you. It's really helpful!

Rod

If anyone is out there on the fence about buying a copper set up, I will say this. I am an invited guest on boats (I no longer own a boat), and during king season I will no longer be on a boat without a copper set up. I have seen it work for 2 seasons now. It can be the only rod that gets a hit some days. It's a must have as far as I am concerned.

I bought my set up a little late this past season but I will be bringing it out each and every time I make my pilgrimage to Lake O. I went with 400' of heavy copper on a Shimano Takota 800. I have been told that you can add sinkers on rubber bands to it to get it deeper if needed.

Just my .02

Couldn't agree more Brad. Don't leave the dock without it :lol:

Okay, so I'm settled on the Penn's. I'm ordering 4 this week. 345's for the 600 and 500 (I can't fit the 500 on a 340, can I ?) And a 340 for the 400. What reels do you guys use for the 300? Do I need a 340, or do you think I can drop down to the 330?

Any favorite's on copper rods?

Hello Ray !! Not too sure, your prolly thinking of the Cold Steel boys while on a Charter, they do have tendencies of putting them Coho's in the boat that time of year!!

From a couple PM's: A great rod to use for a copper combo is a 9' BWD 1101, 2 piece ugly stick, we sell them to many of the local to Oswego Captains like TK, Hat Trick and quite a few others who swear by them. We will stock that rod pretty heavy for next season due to its reviews in the past 2 seasons (We will match Cabelas or BP $$$) Any heavier sort of rod rated 12 to 20 or diver rods will work fine, no twilly or rollers needed. If you are going to use older rods you have kicking around due to the heavy expenditure when outfitting yourself with copper set-ups just be sure to check the guides are in good shape, older cracked, grooved or chipped guides will not use well with our soft copper.

Thanks Rick (:

Good Luck

Tom

Whats the biggest advantage with the copper set-ups everyone seems to be so hot on right now (besides the strength)?

Not having to use downriggers to get depth, and keeping your presentation 500'- 600' behind the boat?

I'm ready to make the jump, just looking for some more info.

I only have one year under my belt running copper, but last season it was great to us. It's just another weapon in your spread, that's all. When I fish alone, I don't run it. Normally, I'll put the copper in the water when I have four or more rods out (of course, we prefer to always have 6 or more out ;) )

Your right....It's nice to bring that swimmer through 300 feet or more after all your other lures have passed. It's a lone dog out there....no ball as with the rigger, no thumper weight, no dipsey.....just the copper,leader and your flasher/fly.