Hydraulic steering question.....

CaptSpike

After purchasing my Lund Sport Angler I upgraded to hydraulic steering. I use two motor supports, one for the main engine and another for the kicker. I would get some creep out of the wheel which would set the main engine just off center but not enough to bother the motor supports. This yr I installed an Auto Pilot and now the main engine will creep all the way over till it lays sideways. There seems to be enough pressure for the motor to creep that it broke the tube on the motor support. I ended up using the built in motor support and disconnected the kicker to get home without damaging the support again. I have since made up two pieces of wood that I insert on either side of the piston so the motor cannot creep (it hits the wood in either direction). Question is why am I all of a sudden getting more creep? Is that inherent of the Auto pilot install?

Thanks,

Spike

I would assume so but your going to get motor creep no matter what, I have SeaStar steering and if I don't use my transom saver my motor is on it's side in no time. Are you using transom savers or another type of motor support? I don't like built in motor supports as it doesn't take the weight off the transom only the hydraulic trim, doesn't help much for trailering down bumpy roads. I'm assuming you have a Evinrude with the built in bracket.? I know Mercury doesn't have built in brackets.

Investigate a product named Lock-n-Haul. Mine cost me $70 to ship to me from Texas. I run a Honda 135 with a garmin AP on the 9.9 Honda kicker (Both motors are connected while trailering or running on water, disconnected to troll). Takes the place of a transom saver and locks the motors in place while trailering. No creeping. No torque to transom during trailering. Truely locks the motor in place when adjusted properly to fit your motor. Very impressed with mine.