Replacing Sylvan Offshore Transom

Moonshine

Hi folks,

I've recently bought a 1986 22ft Sylvan Offshore and I soon found out that I had a major leak. After close inspection, I found that the transom is rotten around the outdrive. While it does look like something that I can handle replacing myself, I have no experience with I/O's. It has a 3.0 liter Mercruiser with a Alpha One outdrive. My question is..... Can i remove the whole outdrive in one piece. Because the Bellows and shift cable is new, I see no reason to pull the lower and upper seperately.

Anyone's thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

thanks

Dear Moon Shine,

This type of repair will test any/all of your boat wrench...fabrication skills. It requires engine removal and outdrive major removal..(inner & outer transom removal) etc.

..............Of course you can cut the entire transom around the drive and remove the entire drive line..ala Florida salvage style.....but you lose the mounting hole locations and the front motor mounts locations....NG. THEN you have to cut a new transom hole etc. with factory fixture or a lot of "Kentucky windage"!!!!

The best way is to remove all the mechanicals and take it to a boat repair shop that specializes in transom repair. None of this is easy, fast or cheap. Correct transom repair will exceed the value of the boat. This is a major $$$$ repair that will test your wallet and patience. If you are retired and have a lot of free time....give it a go! But I would rather go fishing then replace a transom! ....Respectfully submitted.....X-Jet Boat Bill

It seems as though I wasn't clear as to what my question was. I could remove the lower unit, then the gimble housing and then the bell housing. Could I instead remove all three pieces at once by taking out the 4 bolts that hold the bell housing to the transom. I realize that I must disconnect the water return hose and the exhaust to do this. In this boat it shouldn't be necessary to remove the motor. the wood on the transom is only bolted to the outer aluminum. After all this is done, i should be able to lift it straight up and out in one piece, thus allowing me to use it for a pattern.

thanks

All you've said will work out but not necessarily in that order or as cut & dry as your thinking. Engine Will have to come out as the rear engine mounts bolt to the transom plate that your going to have to remove inside the boat, along with the exhaust bellows housing & lower thu bolts that hold the transom plate to the outer gimbal housing. Outer gimbal housing & bell housing will come off intact with bellows & lower shift cable.