Hard top frame

lineman49

Just wondering if anyone has had trouble with their hard top frame welds & upright posts cracking? Two years ago my welds cracked at the braces on the front of the frame & I had those repaired. Now the main front support pipes are cracked just below the repaired welds on those same pipes. This top is on a 92 Grady White seafarer. I was thinking of adding a cross brace between the 2 main pipes when having the cracks repaired. Any other ideas out there ? Thanks.

Sounds like youre getting some ultimate torsion/twist in the frames and boat. Is there a way to add a shock absorber of a sort to take this impact and abuse? How about rubber mounting block rather than a direct mount? Just and Idea.

Good luck. Nick

That maybe something to look at after I have the repairs made/welded. I did contact the manufacturer & it must be a problem for them because they do make a repair sleeve for this problem so I don't think I am the first. I am sure ther is some twist/torsion when pounding lake erie 4-5 footers . You proably don't get those on the finger lakes? ;)

There is a good reason to purchase light weight canvas tops and this is one of them. I have to lower my Bimini top when traveling over 25 MPH after I learned what happens when you trailer the boat at 55 MPH. It is just not waves that cause damage but the wind at highway speeds.

Actually, being one of the bigger boats down here that fishes, we tough out nasty weather , especially out of the north. A few weeks ago I ran a trip taking waves over the bow that crashed on the windshield. I estimate 3-4 occasional fives. Our waves not only get big but they are just as far apart asbthey are tall. No such thing as "rollers" here....

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png