chat report

Started casting first thing this morning around bridge had nothing.talked with guys at motel said its been. Slow. For a few days. We trolled rest of day and had nothing and did not see much on graph I want to say thanks to Chad for sharing some good info on chat we will try again all day tomorrow before the front comes in

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Windows%20Smartphone.png

40s, rain, and North winds this weekend. Sounds great. I give any of you guys that will be casting alot of credit.

Anybody have the current water temps? I think I had about 55 North and 53 South last weekend.

Maybe if it has been slow this week, we will all get lucky this weekend. Good luck

Line guy - yesterday was slow for everyone around the area. I was able to get out and fish with Dan Hughes for the afternoon and it was a slow day all around. I talked with a couple other friends who fished Chautauqua yesterday as well and they each had a couple follows but no fish. Today is the day I think you want to be out there (more specifically this afternoon when the front starts to roll in). Keep at em' buddy - the mental game is biggest obstacle to over come when musky fishing.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like tomorrow is going to be a good day fishing - let alone casting. As Ivan stated, 40's rain and north winds will most likely keep us at home. If we do fish it, it will most likely be trolling with the bimmy top up but my guess is that we will most likely sit tomorrow out and use the time reorganize the garage - I got more musky lures and hooks in there than is considered "reasonably safe" for the wife :lol:

Good luck out there!!

Chad

Nothing going at all today. Trolled over deep holes,along edges did not see any activity. Will try afew hours in morning trolling. Tough few days down here.

Thanks guys for all the help. 3 days of fishing and no hookups. we packed up early and headed home. Musky won this time. I will watch to see when they turn on again,but we are done for the year. next is spring browns out of sandy creek. Good luck

nothin but follows fri... went 2 for 3 trollin sat am and 2 for 3 trollin sat pm. smaller ones, biggest was right at 40". tried casting when conditions allowed but nada. miserable out there but back at it in the am

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Good job Ryan. Fishing at Chq has been poor the last couple weeks in my opinion. I fished 15hrs between Sat and Sun this weekend. I trolled North and South. Deep, shallow and in between. Marked lots of bait, but very few muskies (not sure where they are hiding right now). Water temps are mid 50s and dropping. Water clarity is pretty good. After quite a bit of searching, I finally marked a decent number of muskies along with lots of bait in one area of the North end. I pounded that spot and ended up 2 for 3 and 1 other rip that didn't hook up. Small fish though. Boss Shads and Tuff Shads in bright colors got our action. I know two other boats that fished Sat with no action and talked to another guy at the launch that got 1 small fish casting for the weekend.

Ivan,It must be really tough fishing if You and your Dad only caught 2 muskies in 15 hours.You two are usually very successful with catch numbers there.With the strong gale force winds about to turn Lake Erie dark brown,I thaught about making a trip to Chautauqua Lake on Friday,maybe not now with fishing being so slow.I don't know how your overall season at Chautauqua Lake was this year,but mine was 1/3 fish caught then last year!Not many over 40" either.

Capt. Larry

Very nice gesture with the net for Old Man Capt Larry. Not sure why a thread that can improve someone's knowledge of proper release techniques got locked, but oh well. I guess I need to watch my approach more carefully on subjects like that.

I usually fish Chq on weekends in July some, skip most of Aug, then return and fish Sept-Nov. It wasn't like this prior to the last 2 yrs for us, but the last 2 years, I have found slow fishing at Chq until the end of Sept. Mid to late Oct is usually tough again, then November picks back up. At least that's been our experience over the years at Chq. Much of that can depend on your individual style of fishing though.

Its hard for me to compare last year to this year because I missed some peak times this year and will not get to fish Chq in Nov at all this year. It is an apples to oranges comparison, but last year we released 60 some Chq fish and this year we released 30 some Chq fish.

Ivan,I know you personaly,I know you were not out to bash Old Man,only trying to help.It was most likely locked to keep the thread from heading toward a bashing direction.We here in NY have a big task ahead of us to educate most of the fishermen in the state on safe handling practices of Muskies.There are many guys fishing muskies in NY state that have never been part of a catch & release / safe handling,taught through club enviroment.Thanks for your prospective on 2012 Chautauqua Season.You are right 2011 was half the catch of 2010 season for me.Both 2011 & 2012 there were many 90 degree days and very high water surface temps,above normal algae bloom and lots of high pressure systems flowing through.Hopefully 2013 turns around to be a very good year,but then again November this year may turnout to be very good as well.

Since I am not able to fish Chautauqua any more this year, I was doing a little reminiscing. I figured i'd share a few pics of some of our nicer Chautauqua fish from the last few seasons. I know I always enjoy looking at pics. Good luck to everyone still hitting the water.

dadchq.jpg

adamchq.jpg

dadchq2.jpg

adamchq2.jpg

dadchq3.jpg