870 wood

fish-on

• 1 year later...

Ralph,

If you don't find the wood you are looking for try the Birchwood Casey Tru-oil refinishing kit. I just refinished my Grandfathers model 70 he bought in 1947 and the stock looks outstanding! I carried it all deer season and it held up and shot great!

• 4 weeks later...

You can also find stocks in various stages of finishing at the local gunshows...... the bigger the show, the more options you will have....

The nice thing about finishing/fitting an unfinished butt stock is you can make the gun actually fit you......

Remingtons are typically low for me, but if you start with a stock that is slightly high, you can file/sand/repeat until you bring it down and tweak the cast until it fits perfectly.....

Last year I did this with an Ithaca M37(1948) in 12 ga. fixed mod, and now the gun fits..... has an adequate recoil pad on it.... and is 3/4 lb heavier than it was when I started, (so I can shoot it without getting whooped on)....

Tru-oil, as DJ mentioned...... the stock looks mint.

Thanks guy's, I ended up buying another 870 awhile back just for the wood, Watched the stuff sell on e-bay for just as much as you could buy a gun for. Real nice wood and the bonus is the 870 I bought is a wingmaster magnum, Late 70s never seen one before.

Edited by fish-on