Boat Safty Readiness

Fishtails

As I prepare my little boat to leave for a two week fish & fun trip to The Everglades National Park and then Key West, I decided to go through my Rapid Ditch Bag and restock as needed. I keep all my safty gear in one bag, and that makes it easy to take it from boat to boat, plus I always know where everything is at if/when I need it. I like the Ditch bag just incase the need ever arrises to abandon ship :o

I have often wondered if it is considered rude to take a ditch bag on someone elses boat? I usually do when I think of it, and nobody has ever acted wierd about it. I just figure I would rather be double prepared than under prepared.

Anyway, I thought I would share how I prepare mine. Feel free to share how you prepare yours, and anything I may be overlooking. Personally, I pack mine not only for emergency and/or abandoning the boat, but also for a possible overnight stay on the water if we were to have boat trouble late in the evening. This almost happened twice last year on friends boats, but we got in both times after dark on the kicker, but I had my Ditch Bag both times and felt better about the situation thanks to having it.

Here is how I pack mine....

4 Ready Meals, Bottled Water, Hard Candy, A Flask of Whiskey. Anyone who has fished with me knows I love to eat!! If I am going to be stuck on the water overnight....I want food!! :lol: The Whiskey, well if I get stuck having to spend a night on the water with someone I find annoying, I wanna be able to lesson the pain :yes: It isn't legal to have alc. on board everywhere, but if I happen to forget and have it on board when I am in Canada or something I figure I can claim it as antiseptic since it's in with my survival gear :D

20121217_150241.jpg

Waterproof VHF Radio, Hand Held GPS, Air Horn, whistle compass, Sun Screen, 100% deet bug spray, Flashlights, Glow Stick, Batteries, Motion Sickness Med.

20121217_150606.jpg

20121217_150935.jpg

Handheld Flares, WaterProof Matches, Multi use knife, Scissors, First Aid Kit, Pencil, Pen & Paper

20121217_151327.jpg

Flare Gun & Flares

20121217_151648.jpg

20121217_151951.jpg

20121217_152351.jpg

20121217_152407.jpg

It's pretty darn full and weighs a good bit so I need to check that it still floats when I get to Florida :D

too early we leave the 26th for a 29 arrival wife already laid law about settin up camp first....DON'T FORGET MY er um your map :lol: ,hmm ditch bag eh how about a few hooks and line and smageta spray :lol: thell carry ya away if ya get washed on one of my islands,swin goggles if ya gotta untangle yer anchor rope from the prop or hit something and need emerg rapair or safty assment...and dont forget they gotta tide in them waters when ya tie off a boat :lol: did i mention bug spray ..in the everglades,couple water wings might help....drive safe opps 5 gal pail gator repelliant

Nice and neat fishtails..gives you peace of mind in no mans land. How about a small mini pair of binoculars, paper/waterproof map or charts of area, emergency waterproof ponchos/raingear , small thin tarp and small coil of rope for emergency shelter ,that could be used for an emergency drift sock too. Have fun down there....take lots of pics for us.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Funny Ray....you don't forget to easy do ya :lol: Hey, I don't set high goals for myself. I just hope a wheel doesn't fall off my trailer again this year crossing a bridge in the Keys. Don't know If I will catch up with you this time. We are in Flamingo in the Everglades from the 22nd to the 30th and then move to Boyds in Key West till the 4th.

Good ideas Choo Choo. Funny you mention charts, cause I ordered a NOAA chart of the everglades and it's like half the size of my boat! You would think they would print both sides to cut down on the size. ...it's really kinda silly how huge this chart is. Without a doubt the biggest chart I have ever seen.

Totally awesome - I love someone who practices the "Be Prepared" Boy Scout motto! Only one critique - pack more water if you can. If you're stranded for 24 hours with more than just you - you might need more than 24 ounces.

Thanks so much for sharing - I think your preparedness is fantastic!

- Chris

If my crew needed that ditch bag, we would starve. I do not see any venison jerky or Dunkin Doughtnuts! If you are worried about water, look into these new water treatment packets. You put them in a bottle of water and let them sit and the water will be safe to drink after so many hours. I will get the name of them and post it. I am going to get a couple for my boat.