Low water levels and brown trout.

rolmops

Just this Wednesday I drove by the lake and with the strong southern wind it was very flat close to shore.

Looking out over the lake I was amazed to see lots of big rocks sticking out of the water and I was thinking that this would be a good time to drive by the area where you are planning to come close to shore for brown trout fishing in spring so you know where the obstacles are, that may damage your boat.

You may be out there in another six weeks or so.

Good advice.

I came across this pretty cool NOAA tool regarding historical waterlevels on the Great Lakes. It looks like they updated their website. The good news is it looks like the water level is starting to rise (0.1 of a meter from Dec. to Jan. which is about 4 inches) and this seems to follow the historical trend. You can see that the water level this winter is the lowest Lake Ontario has been in five years.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/now/wlevels/dbd/

That being said, who knows where the lake level will be in the Spring, but I hope it's wet, wet, wet......

Good luck on the water,

- Chris

The bigger problem is launching and taking out your boat as all the ramps and harbors have been neglected in New York State for years now and no one is doing anything but talking. After they have some propeller and lower unit damage, they might see how we have been cheated out of our fuel and registration taxes and fees for years now.