Thoughts on trolling with attractor fly set-ups

capt ace

The theory of the "haze" of the thermocline makes it easier for us to fool fish into biting is interesting, but I think there is more to it.  The thermocline is a layer of water with high O2 content.  Fish are more likely to be active in a higher O2 environment.  Remember the first Wilson Invitational?  A few days of east winds followed by two days of dead-nut no wind and you have a recipe for lethargic fish in O2 poor water.  That is why the winning team won the tournament trolling the mouth of the Niagara.  The thermocline is structure.  Most of the ecology and food web takes place at the thermocline or above it.....therefore baitfish and the predators that eat them HAVE to play around it if they want to survive.  Keep posting stuff....we all need these discussions at least until March.

Edited by Gill-T

Capt. Ace;

Nice job depicting your approach to salmon fishing.  I enjoyed it.  I have a couple of questions, does the Cannon speed & temp unit mark speed 0.5 miles/hour slower than a Fishawk, like the Moor & Depth Raider?  When you run an all attractor program, how much vertical & horizontal spacing do you use.  I have never run an all attractor prgram, I tend to use a tail gunner spoon or two behind the attractors with good success.  I will have to try the all attractor approach this year.

Thanks again;

John

Edited by Iceman

Hi John, thanks for taking the time to read my article. i'm glad you enjoyed it.

As far as speed goes, my SNT at 2.4 is the same as a Moors at 2.25mph. Fishhawks can be a little different as they are adjustable(my SNT is not). The Fishhawks I have compared to by going side by side, boat to boat, run at about 2.8mph.  Rest assured that if there is a boat doing fish and I'm not, one of the things that I will do is match speed boat to boat if possible. This can be the answer at times when speed is an issue. That 2.4 speed is not carved in stone, either. It changes sometimes day to day or hour to hour. The 2.4 is just a place to start. Later in the season fishing staging kings we may troll under 2.0 mph to get bites!

As far as the spacing, a lot depends on the depth of water. Typically,we like to keep them at least 10ft apart both vertically and horizontally in the column. Be advised that sometimes "less is more"!!!  When running riggers we only run three and at times drop down to two if we're not getting bites. One trick that we do is to either drop or raise the other rigger when one goes off to the level the other one got bit at. This is a great way to double up on your rigger bites.

Some days we only run one attractor with spoons all around it or all spoons. This is more true when the temps are up in the column and we're fishing in the thermocline.     

Great article Jimmy. I was also talking with a scuba diver also recently who emphisized that not only is the "haze" significant in the thermocline but distance can be distorded at the very top or slightly above (to our eyes at least) in certian light conditions. Has me thinking that if we're getting allot of missed hits at the very top or slightly above the thermocline, maybe slowing the action of the fly down a bit (strech your leader or adjust your connection to the flasher) to allow them to hone in on it. If our eyes are distorded in certian conditions, it's quite possible that a fish"s latteral lines are effected the same way. Just a thought.

See you in a few months Jimmy,

Greg

Little Whip

Edited by bigbrookie