Planar Board Mast Height?

Hello All

New to site and trolling on Lake Ontario, ... I think this is the right place to ask questions :)

I purchased a Lund Fisherman (18') last year and want to set it up for Brown trout trolling with planar boards.

Question: If I mount the mast on the casting platform in the front of the boat (its about 1' higher than the floor and about 1'+ lower than the gunnel), how high should a planar board mast be? Is taller better?

I saw a pretty cool home built mast on this site (sorry don't recall the author).  I want to attempt the same thing by using a chain link fence post as the mast.  Just wondering how high it should be?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Peter

p.s. really enjoy the site

welcome to the site. most of the masts are 72" that is what i have on the front casting platform. i got the pedestal seat mount that mounts my planer mast in the front seat mount.tight lines and good luck

Dan...

The higher the better. (within reason +/- 6foot.) The height of your mast decides on the downward angle of your planer board line. This, together with the pulling strength of your board will make the fishing line go out to the board faster or slower. It is also helps in keeping heavy lines above the water

From my limited experience, I have found that it is not only helpful to be high, but also to be wide. I use 8' fence poles set on a 45 deg. Angle so with the beam of my boat there is about 18' between the pulleys. This reduces the chance of the line ever contacting other fishing gear in the boat. I estimate the pulleys are about 7' off the water.

Remember the higher your line the higher your lures will run.......

Thanks Everyone

Really appreciate your input.

If I can get a bushing that fits a 2-3/8 fence post for my existing seatbase, do I need to support he mast in other ways as well or does the seat base bushing hold it in place well enough?  Do I need to run a strap around it soemhow to stablize it, especially if only running one board on a side (for some reason).  I currently have Springfield seat bases, snap lock versions.   The part of the deck that the seat pedestal is mounted to is removable, I could rig up another board to replace the current seat pedestal base board and attach a mast to it somehow.

Thanks Again

Regards

Peter

If your mast is deep enough inside or around the base you should not need it. About running only one board,not a good idea it will pull your boat towards the planer board side a lot stronger than you would expect.

Edited by rolmops