Boat Speaker Mount

Nalod

I have 2 speakers in my boat.  Each speaker has a plastic ring that goes around the speaker that then has 4 screws that screw through the plastic ring into the wall.  I noticed that one of the rings cracked around the screw holes and will no longer hold in place.

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these rings, or do I have to buy a whole new speaker?

Thanks,

--Joe

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for a replacement? Hate to see you have to buy a whole new unit for this reason.

Something must have caused the problem: maybe excessive vibration over time, or placement where back of speaker is being bumped or hit by passing passengers. Make sure you deal with this if you get a replacement part/repair it.

Could reinforcing the rim by gluing the cracks together and then adding washers to the screws work? Sounds like the plastic part is like a cup to hold the speaker, with a rim to hold it in place. If so and you go the glue process, if the cup is cracked also, make sure to glue it back together and then put a hose clamp around it for strength.

Hey Don,

No, I have not tried to contact the manufacturer.  Great idea though...and it will be the next step I take!

I think the bracket was broken when I purchased the boat (used) a couple years ago.  I think that I just never noticed it until the speaker fell out on me when I was on full plane!  I tried to "rebuild" the plastic to get it usable again, but just have not had any luck.  It is pretty mutilated!

Hopefully the manufacturer has one they will ship/sell to me...or some ideas for my next steps.  I agree that I really do not want to purchase a new speaker just because of the mounts!

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic!

--Joe

It may not be the prettiest solution but is it possible to use a hot glue gun on it? Gorilla glue is another possibility to try. Unfortuntely many times glues won't adhere properly the certain types of plastic until you find the right one

I ended up going to the boat show here in Buffalo yesterday and talked to a marina selling my manufacturer.  He said that buying a replacement bracket was slim because they probably stopped making replacement parts (wow, it is only an '06 boat)...He is going to look in his computer for the part when he gets back from the show.

In the meantime, I am going to try the glue ideas by finding a way to glue a washer to the bottom of the mount.  I am thinking that if I can get it to hold, it may resolve the broken screw holes.

Thanks for the ideas guys!  They are all greatly appreciated.

--Joe