leadcore setup and use

i am in the process of buying a copuple of leadcore setups       pre rigged with 10 colors  prob okuma 45 reel     is this setup gonna get me down to 100'+  ?   what would i need to do   or even can i get down to 100'  with leacore going   2.0 ish   i see alot of people catching lakers with leadcore    and i imagine they must be down at least 100'  yet i cant find a single chart that goes any deeper than like 50'      thnx 

Yes you can get down to a hundred feet,but it takes a different approach and it takes live bait.

I've only done this on Keuka and Owasco , but by trolling at +/- 1.8 mph you will be at about 50 t0 60 feet down.Then when you see a deep target on your fish finder you cut the engine  and allow the live bait to sink slowly to the bottom and intermittantly speed up just a bit. That way I've taken lakers out of the 300 foot hole just north and west of the boyscout camp in Owasco lake. Trying this with artificials is a waste of time.

If you fish the finger lakes,there is a more effective way to go about things. Look at the hills surrounding the lake and when you see a hill sloping down towards the lake with some flat space near the shore, you can be sure that this hill continues under water thereby creating a hump with a current flowing over it. The lakers will be laying just under the current on the lee side.If you run back and forth a few times you will know where to make your approach from and your creel will be full before you know it.

Edited by rolmops

Thats because leadcore rarely achieves depths of 50'+ without additional help. A copper setup is the answer to this question though. Copper will achieve depths of 22' down per 100' out bu there is some obvious variation depending on speed, current, etc. Copper is what your looking for!

You can also use inline sinker (few ounces) where the leader attaches to the main line.... or use a good sized duolock snap on the split ring (suspended) of your swivel and hang the sinker from that. (I'm assuming a short leader with this setup allowing you to net the fish with the sinker still attached) but for longer leaders you can unsnap the weight on the way in from the duolock snap if you use the duolock setup or else hand line in the rest of the way. Been doing it for years and it works.

Edited by Sk8man

It is during the NON-FLEA season but not DURING flea season. No fleas on copper and copper reaches greater depth easier. On the downside it can kink much more easily too if you aren't careful with it. I think that 7 strand stainless wire is superior to both of them most of the time and if weights are used can get down to greater depths than either are capable of for less footage out.

Edited by Sk8man