Spring Brown Trout - March 24,2013

I shoulda been home watching March Madness and counting my points, BUT the weather looked like it was going to be good and the winds were predicted as reasonable - SO--------- we went fishing on Sunday.

With the daylight saving in effect, we didn't have to leave so darned early, we also wanted the sun to heat the water a much as possible.

We got our boots wet getting the boat to the Big Lake, the waves are always moving the sands!!!!!!

We started trolling riding out the swells from the south-west, they were big and rolling but we persisted and after a while they calmed down to almost nothing

IMG_0179-SpringTrolling_zpsf5eaeae4.jpg

We began fishing at 0945 and made several long trolling passes with no luck at all. We were having a sandwich and off course the outer rod fired, then NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Zero for one - Dang!!!!

As we fished were changing colours but persisted on fishing as close to the shore as was possible, Finally, the rod closest to the shore fired and I was into a fish, John brought in the the inner rod whie I let the fish hold tension. Once John had the path cleared, I fought the fish, clearing the board and then a short crank and into the net - What a Beauty - nicely marked, no lamprey scars - just a great looking fish.

IMG_0180-HappyTrollerjpg_zps46bdc3d2.jpg

The Brown tipped the scales at 7lbs 6oz, a couple of quick pix and she was gone back to grow some more.

As we often say, " The first fish is the hardest " and after fishing 3 and a half hours, it was a well earned prize.

We saw another boat fishing the east side and followed it along the beach and just after it turned south, it headed back to the east shore, guess fishing was better over there.

We had planned on making another run at the beach to see if there was anything there in the cloudy water, but we got side tracked as the inner board to the shore fired and John was into a fish. We got the board off and he deftly brought the fish to the net. A perfect one for the table, just about 2lbs.

IMG_0183-Juanforthetable_zpsa17bdcc8.jpg

We made several more passes and encountered the rocks as we had never met them, we kept hooking the rocks, although we were thought were trolling really shallow, getting the boards closer to the shore brought those giant rocks into play, we only lost one lure.  Snagging the rocks with four lines out is like one armed paper hanger with the seven year itch :D  :D  :D It's a firedrill with all hands on deck!!!!

Decided to call it a day at 1600 and dragged the boat back over the sand and to the ramp. Packed up after a discussion with one of the commercial fishers of the area, always something to learn about the fisheries of the big lake.

We got the fish on an Alpena Diamond and an Evil-Eye, we've got four fish in two trips and 3 out of 4 on the Evil-Eye, it's working real well.

From what we saw and experienced, we both felt that we were very early, there are some fish there but we don't feel the vast numbers are there yet - lots of time in April.

Stay Tuned - Back again sometime in April.

David  aka  Superdad

Good going fellas! Those damned "rockfish" always seem to jump out and grab your stuff don't they ? :)  I guess signs should be posted....."BEWARE the shallows can be hazardous to your tackle" :lol: