Fish Hunter II Mexico Bay, 2/21

First time out this year.

Came out of the chute, with a bumpy/rolling ride west, all the way to the plant,(it had laid down by then) from 6 ft, to 28 ft, with all our gear/electronics/etc. running well.

Never moved a single rod.

We were semi-stunned as no-takers are not what we expected, but still enjoying the day, and the chance to spend time with my 19 year old son, as we have fished togather now since he was about 5-6 years old.

On the way back near Catfish, we found some chocolate water, and there they were.

Chartruse J-9's,(1 double from those) and Firetiger J-9's were their favorites, but did manage one from a black/orange Smithwick, flatlined in the prop-wash and the Suttons just went along for the ride, which was very odd.

7 fish(all browns) were boated, and we released 2 small fish.

Looking forward to next weekend already, and we just came in the door just a while ago...lol.

BTW, the date on the title should have read 4/21...opps.

Edited by Fish Hunter

Catfish is always a good place to find a few fish. I was up north trying to get out of the wind. Fished along westcott beach, not one trout but a few of the largest smallmouth I have ever caught, over 6 lbs. They were fun but not what we were looking for, maybe next weekend the wind will be down to only hurricane status and we can get out along the south shore. 

Nice job Fish Hunter, we stayed out til around noon had to be home early, but it was fun new kicker worked great, we stayed in front of the little Salmon did manage two hits but didn't stay on long. Hope this weekends weather is better.

Dave

Went for the first time out in our "new to us" boat. Found the stained water in front of catfish and landed 3 browns and 1 smallmouth in 2 hours, out to 30 ft. all on bright sticks except for one big brown on an R&R spoon that was down about 8 ft over 30. I couldnt get as slow as I would like, thinking about AO bags to slow down. GPS was at about 2.8, fishhawk at the surface kept creeping up to 4.0 with the throttle all the way down. I have a 23ft walkaround, and figured the 2 18 inch bags would be enough to slow me down where I need to be...

BHufnagle I just put two 18" AO bags on my 18 ft Crestliner and they slowed me down from 2.4 at idle to about 1 mph SOG. I'm super happy with them just what I needed to let me use a bit of throttle for better boat control and letting the motor pump more water and oil through it. If I were you I would consider moving up a size from the 18" for your 23 footer.

BHufnagle I just put two 18" AO bags on my 18 ft Crestliner and they slowed me down from 2.4 at idle to about 1 mph SOG. I'm super happy with them just what I needed to let me use a bit of throttle for better boat control and letting the motor pump more water and oil through it. If I were you I would consider moving up a size from the 18" for your 23 footer.

X2.

I had (2) 18's on my 18 Lund with about the same results as above. I was nowhere near 4mph at idle either (2.2 at idle).

Spike

We stayed between 1.8-2.2.

Our 4.3 Islander will run happily right there w/o bags. 

When we were out in the plus 25 ft water we had a lot of marks, about 17-18 down and dropped the spoons right in their faces, and watched/waited for a rod to pop, but nothin'.

Thanks for the advice. As the winds and currents shifted, I just couldn't keep it in the zone. I think the bags will be just the ticket. Maybe work on a kicker for next year...

Went for the first time out in our "new to us" boat. Found the stained water in front of catfish and landed 3 browns and 1 smallmouth in 2 hours, out to 30 ft. all on bright sticks except for one big brown on an R&R spoon that was down about 8 ft over 30. I couldnt get as slow as I would like, thinking about AO bags to slow down. GPS was at about 2.8, fishhawk at the surface kept creeping up to 4.0 with the throttle all the way down. I have a 23ft walkaround, and figured the 2 18 inch bags would be enough to slow me down where I need to be...

BHufnagle,

I have a 21' Trophy walk around and I used the 24'' bags and could get down below 1mph with no problem, went with a new kicker this year and i wish I had done it long ago!

Dave

When we drift on Oneida, for Walleyes, we run a bag off the nose, and turn the outboard into the waves. It'll set the boat almost perfect sideways into the chop, and then with the rods in the holders, on the "wave" side of the boat, it'll "jig" whatever you want to run.

About as lazy as it comes..........lol.......but it works.