Managing Waypoints

As a new fishing starts I have many waypoints on my GPS that I caught fish on last season. Will they be good again this year who knows? How do you guys sort, save or delete your waypoints from season to season?

Dennis

We mark a waypoint for each hookup over the course of a season.  You start to see trends as the season progresses.  There will be significant clusters of points that will show areas where, for whatever reason, (current, structure etc), fish are consistently caught on multiple trips thjroughout the year.  As I review the marks at the end of the season, there will be distinct areas with marks piled on top of marks on top of marks.

At the end of each season, I will delete all of the marks, with the exception that I will take one from each of those clusters/concentrations, name it, and save it as a permanent waypoint.  Invariably, by the end of the next season, that permanent point is buried under another cluster of seasonal marks, showing that once again that area was a consistent producer. 

Over time, this gives you a good selection of starting points to start your fishing day.  I have one waypoint that has been in my GPS since 1998 that is approx 10 miles offshore of Wilson that has had fish on it every time I've fished it in the past 14 years.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Tim,

That's the same type of patterning I get as well. But then the laundry list of names and where they are grows. I have transferred the waypoints to my Navionics App on my PC. That gives me a nice view of the patterns but the PC is not in the boat with me. As you do I will take a few in the center of the patterns and name them/save them to the boat unit.

Dennis 

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 weigh points in my GPS that have produced for years.  One of my late summer king staging weigh points turned into my #1 laker weigh point last year.  I used to go through my gps every season and write down every weigh point and it's coordinates after every season.  If the GPS died or got replaced, I could go back in a replce them.