north sandy pond

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you can help a new ontario fisherman out. Im bringing my family up to north sandy pond the last week of may and my 15 year old daughter heard about the walleye fishing in the lake and I know nothing I will be using my !8.5 fish and ski with 2 elec cannon downriggers and planer boards and lures out the wazuuu.. If you could give me any pointers I would appreciate it. Even live bait is fine. also what else can I expect to catch around that time of yea? In advence thanks to all who reply.

fishindad-

In reading your post,i'm assuming that you are renting a place on or around the N.Sandy Pond area. Be sure to do your homework if you're not familiar with the ponds. The ponds have a lot of weed growth due to the shallow depth and can be tricky to maneuver around sandy bars,heavy weeds,and rocks. Even with a smaller boat. Be sure to follow another boat out of the channel to the Lake O. on your first trip,its tricky.(And follow Buoy markers or you WILL hang-up and lose a prop!) Now on a good note,I own a place and fish often. It can be great at times,although tell your daughter to put the walleye bonanza out of her head. You may pick up an occasional fish but primarily it wil be bass and perch with occasional n.pike in the ponds. Have her cast off the dock at sunset with a small sunfish/shiner and hold on tight. She ever seen a bowfin? As far as the others,sounds like you have the arsenal of lures and livebait works well too. Be sure to stop at Port Ontario such as Woodys and they will put you in the right direction for bait and such. And don't be afraid to ask the locals ;) they can help too. Good luck and PM if you need more.

see the DEC site and map if you haven't yet.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/41039.html

You might want to try near shore trolling for brown trout just outside the channel. You want to head out just after sunrise or a couple of hours before sunset. Fish between 10 and 15 foot of water. I usually troll between the Pond opening and Lakeview (north). Small Rapalas are fine but it would be better to just ask the bait shops what their hitting. I live in Florida so don't know what their hitting right now.

Browns usually run five to ten pounds but you can get some in the twenties and an occasional Atlantic salmon or Steelhead.

I use in line planner boards out of a pontoon boat with allot of success. Not allot of expense and allot of fun.

Of course it is only okay if the waves are cooperating.

• 2 weeks later...