Big FL Bass!

cdelong

I went on a trip with www.bobstonewater.com today. Awesome fishing and a great guy!! Anyone heading to FL should look him up.

I boated over 10 largemouth over 5#- the largest was 7# 14oz. I probably missed another 10 slobs in the pads or due to a poor hook set. These monsters require a Barry Bonds style hookset!!

Here's a sample....

7-14oz_2.jpg

6.jpg

7-14oz.jpg

so you need ROIDS to get the hook in good?

Just about....

It's a different kind of fishing. You let the bass take the bait and run with it when the reel is free spooling and wait a little while till he gets it in his belly. You need a lot of patience- if you try to set too early they will just spit it out. Then you hit the clicker and start to tighten up the line till the FISH tightens the line. That's when you let your rod tip drop to the water and yank it back over your shoulder. I nearly ate the hook a few times when I tried to set it too early.

I practiced with my gear while on the trip till they slaughtered my 20# Trilene XL twice. Then I just stuck to the guides 65# Power Pro braid. My two baitcasters now have 65# Power Pro on them today!!

I just got a job in FL while i was down here..... anyone need any BRAND NEW great lakes gear?

One of the funniest parts of the trip involved a large hawk interested in our activity.

He swooped down from a 40ft. tree and picked our baitfish (a 8" gold shiner) right out of the water . As I said- the reels are left free and it was funny to see the braid spool off the reel and head 40ft. back into the air as he flew away while the hook was still attached to the shiner. As the braid spooled towards the end of the reel the hawks talons won and he got the bait. It was a good show!

Plenty of manatee, but no gator sightings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...