Slow on canadaguia 6/10/13

Fished all over the south end this afternoon. Started in 70 ft and worked water out deeper turned up nothing. Didn't mark much of anything. For the last hour went into 50 ft and marked a ton of bait schools, only pulled a small laker and a rainbow before leaving.

Typically June is a "transition" month for the Finger lakes as well as Ontario and with the recent storm activity and heavy rains the apple cart has been upset a bit in terms of the water temps. The bait is still easily accessible to the fish as it is clumped up in shallow (40-70 ft) and they are probably well fed without having to work for their meals....they are located right next door to their prey, and may be feeding heavily at night or wee hours. They won't expend energy chasing down stuff if they don't have to. Once these major bait concentrations start to disengage and  break up into smaller pods and redistribute throughout  the lake and the thermocline sets up things will heat up....the rainbows will be more active in the upper layers of the water column and the lakers will be more bottom oriented.... but locating the bait pod remnants will still be the key to getting fish in the boat.

Edited by Sk8man

I don't think it will happen anytime soon....but there sure still seems to be a strong presence of rainbows through natural reproduction here. Much of the impetus for the regulation related to Seneca and Catherine's Creek issues not actual data from here. Even though I share your general view I don't think it is a really bad idea to give the bows a bit of "vacation" either....Just hope is doesn't turn out being forever! If they really wanted to do something they could cancel fishing in Naples Creek and the Derby there for a couple years  and concentrate their enforcement efforts at eliminating poaching at night and that would definitely lead to an improvement in the rainbow population  but that won't happen either....It would also deal with the problem of destruction of the redds by idiots trampling with and without knowledge of what they are doing during Spring fishing and the derby. Money is involved and with it political influence etc. so real action won't happen.. kinda like the NYS Safe Act and gun control - instead of dealing with folks with mental problems and revamping the mental health system they make a law that has nothing to do with the real problem to appease the anti-gun nuts...same here it isn't people trolling taking too many rainbows...

Edited by Sk8man

:)  Yes I knew John and Miriam quite well...she was hell of a mechanic too. I  night fished there from 1975 to about 1988 or so. Used to set up near  (captain) John Oravec  and we used to hammer the big browns and rainbows at the south end. Nothing like just falling asleep and hearing that drag going out with a big one on :)  Most of my bait came from putting a gas lantern out on my downrigger boom calling in the bugs and then the sawbellies would rise up to get them and I used my smelt net to get my bait. The big browns and rainbows would often be mixed in with the bait and sometimes you could see them down there....a lot of fun.