Boat for Keuka Lake?

Finally realizing a dream and buying a small place on Keuka Lake. We will get a family fun boat but I also want a dedicated fishing boat. Due to budgets it will be a used 'beater' of some sort. I don't plan to troll with downriggers, prefer jigging or toplining. Just need something to get 1- 4 people around safely and with reasonable speed. 

I have an old Starcraft 14' shallow V hull but a little wind and it really isn't a good or safe ride.. so looking for something else.

Saw a used Blue Fin for $700 including trailer, but engine and I/O drive, and interior, are all shot apparently, so it would be a 'project boat'.  Seems like I would be able to buy something workable for the same money ($1500-2000?) in the end..

Any suggestions what to look for?  Outboard vs. I/O?  Aluminum vs. fiberglass? 14 vs. 16 vs 18 feet?  How big an engine?  Can I get something for under $1000?

Thanks for the ideas..

Don't get an I/O.. They are headaches when they get old, believe me.. people are always ditching I/O boats when the get $8,000-10,000 repair estimates to replace the engine and/or final drive..
 The same size boat with an O/B could be repowered with a good used OB for $1,000 depending on  engine size.. Your best value would be a good  OB fiberglass boat around 16 feet.. They can be found dirt cheap especially in the fall.. Seriously,  you can find some pretty nice  older glass boats for $1,000 or  even less in the fall...

If you are looking for a really good boat for laker jigging/bait fishing on Keuka, PM me or email me.. I have a 15 foot glass boat w/ a 30 hp that I am looking to sell, CHEAP.. Its a very stable, wide open boat with a   solid floor and transom.. Its a  Boston Whaler style tri hull, and it will laugh ay anything Keuka can throw against it..  Its got more open space  than lots of 17 footer I have seen..Its old but very solid, and I use it on Keuka all the time. If you like we can take a ride before you buy, and did I mention  REALLY CHEAP??.. I just  bought a old 14 foot aluminum  boat and will be using that more and more as I have less time to fish than I used to..

In any case, I would look at  older glass hulls if price is the issue as they run a lot cheaper.

Glass is also much better  when the wind is howling due south or due north straight up or down Keuka which it is much of the time.. Light aluminum hulls are great in calm water, but they blow along pretty fast in the wind

Edited by bulletbob

Assuming you have your heart set on two boats I would agree with bulletbob...  Something in the 15 foot range, fiberglass hull (heavier so less drift) and an outboard engine - 30 to 50 HP should be just fine.

That being said, have you considered one boat that can take care of all your needs?  I had two boats up until recently - an 18' bowrider for family stuff and a 14' aluminum for fishing.  Just sold both and bought a 17.5 foot center console with a 90HP outboard.  So far it has served me well for family missions (tubing, wakeboarding etc) and is great to fish from.  The one small downside to the center console in these parts is your limited ability to get out of the wind while underway.

Just for perspectives sake here is a used 2007 19' Maycraft for sale on Craig's List.  Not my boat nor do I know the seller.

http://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/boa/4010900064.html

Just something to consider.