Out of the OAK 8/24

My friend Dave and I had the 'Ol Penny out of the chute at o-dark thirty to the NE and set up in 60fow on a NE troll running 2 wire divers with spinny fly combos out 120 and 180, 3 riggers from 40-70 with spoons. Marked bait and hooks from 70-80 so stayed in that water and it wasn't long before the 120 diver got wacked and it was off to the races. This fish took the line counter past the 800' mark and slowed only because we turned the boat. By the way it was porpoising over and over, it looked like we had hooked a dolphin! I was able to get the line counter near 200' when as luck would have it the 60' rigger with a B. Fuller KOS releases and Dave sets the auto pilot (bungee cord) and grabs the rod. That fish is bound and determined to cross the port dipsey and Dave grabs the 20 +/-lb king at the side of the boat and brings it aboard. Not time for pics back he goes. Meanwhile, my fish is back out to 600+' and I can't move him so another turn is in order, but now here comes the armada in our direction. I get back 100' or so of wire and the hooks pull free! Well that just sucks, so reel in all the wire to find everything in tack and 2 of the trebles had scales hooked - hmmmmm - hooked the fish in the side or back was my guess. Anyway, get set back up, thinking this was going to be a good day, and things sloooowed way down. From then until 1:30 when we packed it in, we caught a 5lb brown - carbon 14, a couple skippy kings - gator spinny mirage fly and NK SSW, a 7 lb steelhead - carbon 14, 10lb king - hammertime spinny ATOMMIK hammer fly, a couple swing and misses, a fought and lost on a 300 wire dipsey and a decent king on a Carbon 14 which got cut off on a rigger wire. Should have picked up at 11:00, as we washed lures until 1:30, but still better than workin and lunch at the Black North was perfect.

A special thanks goes out to Hank/L&M for getting the "ol girl" back in shape and running like a top! Hank does great work at reasonable prices and is as honest as they come. I am thankful that Ray K. referred me to him years ago on this site.

Shawn

Glad the ole penny is running strong for you Shawn! Hank is the best boat doctor around. I think he could even tuna fish, kayak,or Miss Gieco..he he!...and yes a very honest man! Even fesses up to eating all the chocolate pudding! LOL!..

Nice fishing Shawn! I can't count how many times a fish was speculation for a massive giant and comes to the net 15lb. foul hooked!...sad it got off after all that..washing lures at all is still better than work. I'll be out there this weekend, I got a boatload coming to visit!

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app