Skeg repair

A&M

...after wacking bottom last fall, I bought a SkegGuard to protect against that this year. The question is, how do I get the my outdrive skeg straight enough to get that to fit. It's at least 1/2inch bent but, not yet broken! Seems heat would melt the prop seal and hammering would break that alum?

Thanks,

Alan

A&M

You want to heat it with a burns-o-matic so when you lick your finger and touch it it just makes that stttt sound. It will be hot enough you shouldn't break but cool enough for the seals. Don't hit it to hard and take your time. You can also wet around the seals before you start Have done before and worked fine. Could be easier ways, but this is the way I was told to do it.

Al: What Alan said is the way to do it unless you pull the lower and pull the carrier. Then you can use a bit more heat. I don't kn how bad yours is bent but make sure to pull the prop and put a wet rag as Al stated around the prop shaft right tight to the seals, and try to straiten out a small portion at a time. Work your way from the bottom up