Winterizing Nissan Kicker

JeffM

So I purchased a new Nissan 9.8 kicker this year and now I will need to winterize it.  The manual talks about draining the carb and removing the plugs and spraying storage oil into the combustion chamber through them while slowly turning over the motor with the recoil starter.  Is that the same as fogging oil?  Also, do I keep the fuel line connected and actually start the motor or just spray the storage oil in and pull the recoil starter but not let it start.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I have never done this before so the instructions aren't entirely clear.

Thanks

It won't start, as your have the plugs out.

Here is what I'd do:

1. Change Oil

2. Pull prop, inspect for any line or issues, re-grease shaft and replace

3. Add some stabilizer to tank

4. Run motor for about 5 mins with stabilizer running into carb and motor

5. Kill motor by cutting off gas, letting it run dry

6. Pull plugs, inspect them

7. A little fog (same as storage oil) down the plug holes, turn over motor a few time, 10 seconds worth

8. Drink another beer

With my kicker I just stabalize fuel and change filters, change oil and filter (both engine and lower unit) and check the prop, re-grease. Since I keep my motor in my basement I don't bother oiling the cylinders. Also a good time to grease all fittings clean up any crud and regrease pivot tubes ect. It stays toasty warm all winter.

The main engine gets the oil in the cylinders.

Spike