Still worth trying out of Olcott?

With the long weekend coming up I'd really like to get out fishing at least once this weekend. Haven't fished in over a month. Thinking of trying out of Olcott, staying in tight early trolling plugs then maybe heading out a little deeper as the sun comes up.

Any insight or info? Relatively new to Lake Ontario.

I would doubt there is much game around the piers so don't spend much time there.  Start in 250' and watch the graph.  Kings will be 70-150+ down.  Look for the bottom of the bait pods and put your baits there and the water 20' below.  Steelhead will be up higher so leadcore off the boards will work for them.  If you are not marking or catching much try jetting out to 400"+ and fish a little higher.  Give us your report if you go.

I was out of Wilson Tuesday, weather was beautiful, had the whole lake to myself (except one sailboat). Went out after work for a few hours. Started in 70 but picture was bad so trolled north. Fished by myself so 1 rigger and 1 diver. Managed a 6lb king and a 12lb bow at 280 and 390', but felt I was pretty fortunate given the flip on Monday. Bait balls down 180-220 and fish marks from 160-240 most marks at depths with fish close to bottom. My two fish were shallower. Fished about 2.5 hours then headed in.

The weather has been pretty stable the past few days so maybe by tomorrow things will have set up again.

Edited by John E Powell

There is no such thing as "straightened out temps" this time of year. The lake has flipped so many times in a short period of time that it is mixed. We ran the last of our lake trips this week, Monday we had low 50's in tight and there were mature Kings to be had. After the rain and strong west blow, we were greeted with a 17 degree increase in temp in tight and no mature bite. The fish that were there looked to have shot the creek.

Gill-T's info is dead on, that bracket of water held bait, immature Salmon, and Steelhead.  Tues we had 58 degrees 150 down in  300 fow. Not only were there Steel in the top 50, there were some 100+ down. 

After the recent NE winds, it would not surprise me if you found this action back closer to shore again.

Good Luck

Hopefully the lake forecast will hold, light south winds. As much as I love fishing for erie perch the excellent walleye fishing has the freezer filled up with about 35 lbs of fillets.

Can anybody recommend spoon colors for steelhead and trolling speed? I don't have j plugs for trying in tight so I was thinking to pull some bombers or reef runners for an hour first light. A nice hen would make my day.

You being a walleye fisherman, you should have some deep diving firetiger thundersticks?  Use those if you try inside..  Steelhead spoons.......anything silver and orange up high......silver and blue down low.  Since you don't have a downspeed unit, troll 3-3.25 mph GPS in a NE heading should have your spoons running correct.  With these warm temps target 50' -90' down over 250' to start.  Need anymore micromanagement?