Copper Rigging (1st Time)

I run my coppers with the spro swivels, haywire twist with shrink tubing, Uni knots and I also add 6' of 50lb floro between the backing and the copper so the releases hold better.  I run the Scotty Power grip releases.  Find the double stacker releases and cut the mono and add a shower curtain hook to the one that will be missing one.  They run around $12 each.  The Scotty Power grips alone run around $12 each so this way you get 2 releases for the price of one.  The problem I see with the releases in Sk8mans post is the clip.  Once a release comes off the copper, and you send a new one down with a line in it,  it can swing over your line and wrap keeping your rod from releasing.  These new Diawa reels have my attention.  If the drags are as smooth and adjustable as the Saltist, all my Penn copper reels will be sold one by one and replaced.  My only worry will be the line guide.  Will it be big enough for the spro swivel to go through smoothly. 

Regarding the clip trapping the release of a new line....never have had the problem despite hundreds of releases but I suppose it is a possibility....but that could happen with most of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I run my coppers with the spro swivels, haywire twist with shrink tubing, Uni knots and I also add 6' of 50lb floro between the backing and the copper so the releases hold better.  I run the Scotty Power grip releases.  Find the double stacker releases and cut the mono and add a shower curtain hook to the one that will be missing one.  They run around $12 each.  The Scotty Power grips alone run around $12 each so this way you get 2 releases for the price of one.  The problem I see with the releases in Sk8mans post is the clip.  Once a release comes off the copper, and you send a new one down with a line in it,  it can swing over your line and wrap keeping your rod from releasing.  These new Diawa reels have my attention.  If the drags are as smooth and adjustable as the Saltist, all my Penn copper reels will be sold one by one and replaced.  My only worry will be the line guide.  Will it be big enough for the spro swivel to go through smoothly. 

Line guide is huge... no worries there.