Old rapalas

steelie1

Came across around 30 of these. Most r size 13. Some r countdowns others r sw magnums with a metal lip. Says made in Finland. Most r new and unused in the box with paperwork to order more. I sure wish that's the price they were now. Lol. Any way was wondering what they were worth. Should I use them or sell them? Can't find any info on them. But figured someone on here would know their valuepost-151842-0-00395800-1385861204_thumb.jpg

They look like they may be the 2nd generation originals.. are they made from balsa wood or the next generation from that some sort of composite? the colors are newer than the real old ones that were just silver and black and gold and black and bodies were thinner and were definitely made from balsa wood with a paperish type covering not painted per se. My hunch is they are from the mid to late 70's or so. Hard to say what they may be worth....one of the most popular lures since the early 60's (for me anyway)...could have been around much before that too in Europe and Finland in particular andnot really rare as millions of them have been in circulation. I'd be using them if it were me....the older ones were better balanced than these new ones. Also the boxes on the old ones were more greenish in color.

Edited by Sk8man

I believe they r balsa wood. On the insert the price new is 165. So your prob right. Everything in the 50 was 10 cents. Lol. The black and silver ones r called hopea silver. The blue and silver r called blue mullett and the orange r kulta gold there r also black and gold ones. I also have some of the I'm guessing 18 size with a tri angle piece of plastic on the rear treble that says hand hone to sharpen

The pricing sounds more like late 60's to early 70's to me. The ones before about the late 80's said 'Finland" on the belly area - newer ones say "floating or "jointed" etc.). I think during the late 80's or 90's the boxes were reddish orange with black writing too. That size 18 may be older than the others too but the plastic protector may be an after market hook protector. See if the lures say Finland on the bottom of the stomach for starters. I don't believe they had the " jointed floaters in the 60's to my knowledge anyway. Those colors are definitely not 60's colors (orange/gold and Blue Mullet). I think the ones 60's or before had seams down either side of the stomach rather than a painted appearance without them. Lures used or unused don't seem to hold much of their original value on here. To replace them with new lures at retail though it would be well over a couple hundred bucks. On the other hand Rapalas are one of the best multi-species lures known to mankind so they are a welcome addition to any tackle box

Edited by Sk8man

Steelydan''s point is a good one....."to the right buyer" and I'd add "at the right venue" (e.g. auction or other gathering of lure collectors)

I ran across a familiar find this summer and I did some research on the stuff I came across and SK and  Long Line where very helpful, but getting back to your stuff. I remember those boxes and the writing on those boxes you have, They are collector Items and the boxes that you have are in excellent condition, a lot of the collectors will buy the whole item at a much better cost than one can imagine, just for the box. I'm 47 years old and don't remember the script on the box maybe some of the other guys could be more specific. I found that looking these vintage lures up and reading about the person who made these lures very interesting to the point that I started to gather all the old lures I had up and putting them in a separate tackle box. Some of the lures I have and most were given to me and a bunch I came across in a garage sale, that the old lady told me "they were my husband's and if they mean that much to you, you can have them"  I promised her they will never see water.  I would hang on to them if I were you, but that's my opinion and I'm into such stuff. PAP

My input was based on my own personal memory (which I find suspect myself sometimes :lol: ). I am curious though about what made the "prior to 1972" determination in your research ?  The pricing sure suggested that too.

A few different things. One is the older gentle man I bought them from hadn't fished the lake since the late 70s Thru other posts about the description of the magnum ones and the fact that on a rapala collectors site I found that after 1972 they didn't stamp Finland on the metal lip and all these ones have it. Could I/they be wrong??? I'll tell you one thing I'm usually wrong more than right. Lol.

Suggestion - Normark is the company that makes Rapalas (I think was once "Fiskers") I'd send them some good pics and see what they say.

Ok he replied..... (thanks Les )

I would say that this guy has some dandies.  If he plans to use some of the used ones (or ones showing wear) tell him to save the boxes!  A lot of times the boxes (along with the paperwork) are worth more than the lure!  The orange colored one - I can't tell if the belly is white.  If it is it is more valuable to a collector as Rapala discontinued that combination a few years ago (orange bottom now).  There is also something special about the older boxes (I can't remember at the moment), but I'll need to check with Davesett2000 (Wisconsin).  He has a better memory than I do, lol!

Pete

This so cool, like I mentioned earlier the boxes are so important, and yours look in great condition, the script writing on the boxes, that's something I never saw before. Neat!!! most of the stuff I have is lures made in NY. and most from Canada, no matter where they come from still interesting. Keep us posted!! PAP.

I had one of the 1960's boxes down cellar in with my tackle but I think I "tossed" it a couple years ago when trying to "organize" my stuff :lol:  Always seems to be my motto - "throw out the good stuff and keep the junk" :)

I had one of the 1960's boxes down cellar in with my tackle but I think I "tossed" it a couple years ago when trying to "organize" my stuff :lol:  Always seems to be my motto - "throw out the good stuff and keep the junk" :)

Your lucky someone else didn't do that to you...... :lol: