Cape Cod Sea Duck'n!

Hello & a late Merry Christmas!

We made our annual trip down this year with my son & buddy Tim, whom had never had a chance to experience sea ducks before.

We left in the early morning Monday to heavy fog at the launch & being low tide we had to pick our way out the channel on the North side of the Cape for a short mile & a half ride out to an Island we would be setting up on.

We set a string of a dozen & a half mix of Eiders & Scoters on one long line...& around the corner we set a dozen Brant as the capt said a fair amount of them had been around.

The fog was pretty thick & kept the early morning flight pretty quiet. A few Old Squaw & Whistlers buzzed us...but not much else. About an hour after shooting light our first trio of " Eidahs" committed to the dekes & a hen & nice drake dropped in front of us. After a steady mix of white wing scoters & old Squaw kept the barrels warm but we found our leads on passing shots needed to be a bit more! As the morning wore on more Eiders steadily worked in including a nice pack of about 10 of them ..but having our limits of hens my son had to do some quick thinking to pick a nice Drake out of the group!

We were getting ready to call it a morning about 10:30 as the fog had lifted a bit but had turned to a pretty steady rain. As we sat discussing our breakfast plan, we all were caught off guard as a fighter wing of Brant came in from our far left preparing to commit to our line of Dekes....well needless to say they def caught us off guard as my son & Tim emptied their guns ...to only see one bird out of about a dozen drop!

Over all another great trip..& fun gunning. Any one looking to get a trip in should give Capt. Jack Renfrew of Coast Line Guide Service a shout! Great guide & a hoot to spend a day on the water with!

Well...that wraps up our 2013 waterfowl season... good to those finishing off thiers on the west end!

post-144354-1388115522081_thumb.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-144354-13881155391497_thumb.jpg

post-144354-13881155573335_thumb.jpg

post-144354-13881155736591_thumb.jpg

Yup...that's what I do with mine kevin...ground them & mix with hit Italian seasoning.

Tuck ...the season runs through the end of January.... some of the best gunning of the season is right now

I totally agree kevin. I kept a merge & a squaw for training the new pup...in the freezer now. Got 5 ducks in the freezer now (2 headed to the taxidermist) ...the Mrs says I am reaching my limit! Lol