Best Dipsy copper rod/ reel combo

I use the okuma dipsy rods and add a twili tip, I think they are 9'6" or 10'. They are a good rod won't break the bank and work well.  It all depends on how often you will use them.  I am a weekend warrior and can't see the need for a roller rod like a charter would.

For reels I use the okuma magda pro 30 series.  There are better reels like coldwater or clarions.  I am partial to okuma becuase they have treated me well and have excellent customer service.

Edited by Chas0218

Diver rods are very hard to get right.

What works for one person may or may not work for you. The reason why there are so many differing opinions on what a good diver rods consists of is because everyone's needs are different.

ONLY YOU can decide what rod is right for you. I recommend finding some friends who possess a variety of rods and invite them out on your boat and try each one. In this way you can get an idea of the length, power, and action you need on your boat, not what works for someone else on their boat.

As for reels, take a serious look at the Okuma Catalina Line Counters. This series of reels has a number of very nice features for diver fishing, namely the tension spool control and line counter properly mounted above the reel (not an afterthought added to the left side reel plate) Tension spool control, once set will allow you to set your divers under tension without adjusting your main drag - it's a very nice feature, basically a second independent drag when the reel is in freespool. Just flip the lever back into freespool set your diver out and it will start creeping out to the side; if a fish hits on the way out, you can either turn the handle or flip the lever, either way the freespool is disengaged and the main reel drag takes over. Once set up properly, I can't think of a better diver reel to fish with.

And you don't need to replace the drags right out of the box like you do on the 700 and 800 series Shimanos.

Diver rods are very hard to get right.

What works for one person may or may not work for you. The reason why there are so many differing opinions on what a good diver rods consists of is because everyone's needs are different.

ONLY YOU can decide what rod is right for you. I recommend finding some friends who possess a variety of rods and invite them out on your boat and try each one. In this way you can get an idea of the length, power, and action you need on your boat, not what works for someone else on their boat.

As for reels, take a serious look at the Okuma Catalina Line Counters. This series of reels has a number of very nice features for diver fishing, namely the tension spool control and line counter properly mounted above the reel (not an afterthought added to the left side reel plate) Tension spool control, once set will allow you to set your divers under tension without adjusting your main drag - it's a very nice feature, basically a second independent drag when the reel is in freespool. Just flip the lever back into freespool set your diver out and it will start creeping out to the side; if a fish hits on the way out, you can either turn the handle or flip the lever, either way the freespool is disengaged and the main reel drag takes over. Once set up properly, I can't think of a better diver reel to fish with.

And you don't need to replace the drags right out of the box like you do on the 700 and 800 series Shimanos.

Thanks John,

Spoke to Mark Rominack and he suggested the same regarding the Cat reels.

Thank you for your reply,

Colin

For Reels:

Okuma Catalina CT305Da

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/linecounters/catalina would also be my top choice for divers

Another solid choice is the Okuma Cold Water CW-303D

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/reels/linecounters/cold-water

For Rods:

I have been happy using Okuma Classic Pro GLT rods. They also have a few sizes.

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/rods/salmon-steelhead/classic-pro-glt

Another option is Okuma Blue Diamond Rods

http://www.okumafishing.com/product/view/rods/salmon-steelhead/blue-diamond-a

I would always suggest using a twili tip. Not so much for the sake of the guides but to lessen the heat and friction wear of the wire.

I would always suggest using a twili tip. Not so much for the sake of the guides but to lessen the heat and friction wear of the wire.

I ran my dipsey rods without twillis for 2 seasons.  The wire was never compromised.  But it finally ate through my top guide.

I ran my dipsey rods without twillis for 2 seasons. The wire was never compromised. But it finally ate through my top guide.

You could run wire on most any new diver rod without any issue. The problem is the tip guide creates friction and heat which weakens wire. It can be witnessed by the excessive curling of the wire. Installing a really tip will eliminate the majority of this issue. Is it absolutely necessary? No but it is certainly better with then without

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app