Anyone try this yet

Has anyone tried one of those salwater type teaser rigs. Its like 2 peices of wire crossed and a bunch of hookless lures comeing of it except for one that hangs back a little further it has a hooks? Think I might try this set up if I can get it to hook on the rigger, maybe Ill use the rubberband method. Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet and what the out come was.

I've used them Stripper fishing. I told Clark this past winter we were gonna run an umbrella rig as a test this spring to see it it chases all the fish away.....I think he thinks I'm a little unbalanced sometimes....don't ya Clark :lol::lol::lol:

Anyways.....I have two all rigged up. 8 spoons apiece. One for dark days and one for bright days. My intention is to run it off the ball of the probe rigger for starters solely as an attractor. We'll see if it pulls fish into the spread and go from there. They work great for strippers....Just have no idea on the salmon, but both fish are similar in their feeding habits so who knows??

I tried them this past spring. They were a pain in the arse to say the least. I used willow leaf blades on mine. The problems are tipping, tangling, and netting. Not worth the effort IMO.

They can be a pain....I'd have to agree with that.......then again lot's of guys say the same bout copper :)

Umbrellas are designed to be an in- line attractor....same as a flasher. Instead of imitating a feeding Salmon (like a flasher does), it's purpose is to imitate a school of bait. They are bulky though and just like Gill pointed out, used as designed it can get in the way come time to net a fish. Many a stripper fisherman swear by them and they have been around a very long time, but stripper fisherman don't run the complex spread most of us salmon fisherman do.

I have some ideas on how to occasionally implement them , yet dodge their pitfalls. Just something else to play with when the bite slows down in the afternoon.

If you run them, don't put extensions off them of wire or mono, just attach the attractor item (grub body, willow-leaf blade, or spoon) to the eye on the spreader bar and you will have less tangle issues. I didn't like the blow back or weight of the rigs. Pop-eye charters I think run a similar rig called a six-pack ( I think).....similar with fish shaped spoons without hooks. I would think if you attached an umbrella rig to the back of a downrigger weight and ran a release 6-8' above with a deep diving stickbait back 20' the bait would settle in behind the rig and stay out of the mess. Blow back will be an issue. I have had downrig hits on mature fish that went straight down.....you will have a serious FUBAR if that happens. Good luck with it......just not for me.