First time out for kings back home in SD, in 3 years!

Hey fellas,

I am taking the wife out to Lake Oahe on the Missouri river this weekend for some South Dakota king salmon trolling.  A little different deal than on the Big O, and the fish don't get anywhere near the size.  We will be concentrating our efforts trolling the face of the dam, and working the water column from 50' to the surface, over 80'-150'.  Chinooks are the only cold water species that are stocked in lake Oahe, so no chance for bonus browns, steelhead, lakers, or cohos!!  Might catch some bonus smallmouth and very large pike, though!!LOL  This time of year most of the kings are caught between 30-50 fow on lake oahe, and many fish are caught just long lining deep crankbaits like Reef Runners and Rapala deep Taildancers.  This will be my shakedown trip to make sure my boat, and all of my gear is operational for my trip to Lake Michigan next weekend.  I would rather find problems now, near home, than 10 hours away, in Wisconsin.  Oh yeah, I won't burn up anywhere near the gas on Lake Oahe, as I did on Lake Ontario, either, because the boat ramp is only about 200 yards from where I begin my trolling run, along the face of the dam.  Maximum depth out here last time I was on the river, was just over 200', if I recall correctly, but that can change by 30' from year to year, according to snowfall, rainfall, etc. I will post results and pics on Easter Sunday for you guys.  Tight lines this weekend, and go get those Brown Trout, my New York compadres!!!  May all your lines be greasy, mud chicken free!!LMAO :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Edited by John Kelley

Good luck brother! Big Dave is right - try that flap jack **** fly...lol Can't wait for some pics. I got the "Ol Penny" out of the barn and fired up today and she's ready. Now to get her all rigged up again for a shakedown next week.

Shawn

Thanks fellas, glad I took it out for it's shakedown back here!! Found out the bolts holding on my kicker motor had been snapped off, and my depth finder had blown a fuse!! Then the wind picked up to a small hurricane, and the wife and I decided to just head back this morning, but not before I caught a little skippy king about 1 pound, and the wife caught her first ever pike, @ just over 13 pounds.  It was 34" long with a 16.5" girth.  Chunky sucker.  Went right back in the drink after some pics, too.  I am attaching a pic of the dam and one of her pike.  Thanks.

post-150571-0-68131200-1397949326_thumb.jpg

post-150571-0-12775300-1397949515_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Kelley