Triumph Boats

Viking Ship

Considering buying a Triumph 170 Center Console boat for dual fishing purpose: trout & salmon on Lake O. when they are closer to the shore and walleyes/pike/bass on the Finger Lakes.

Anyone have any experience with this boat or similar model Triumph and have comments? Boat is rated for up to a 75hp motor but dealer insists the 60hp ETEC will be more than sufficient. Again, thoughts or comments?

Finally, wrestling with trolling motor setup...bow or transom? 12V or 24V? Thrust? I know I'll use the trolling motor on the Finger Lakes but would I ever use it trolling for trout & salmon on Lake O.?

Dear Viking Ship,

If & when I buy another boat.......Triumph is at the top of the list. The boats are made with one piece bottoms and one piece tops from high density polyethylene...rotational molded about 3/4 to 1 inch thick everywhere. If you are going to mount heavy accessories such as a trolling motor etc. The factory will install reinforcements in your designated areas when the hull is molded. Some of the nicest people in the boat building business operate the plant in North Carolina. By all means go to the plant and get a tour of the mfg. area. These hulls need no bottom paint and clean up is so easy after being used! Minor hull scrapes can be dressed with scotchbrite pads. If your cosmetic wishes are stringent!! Very quiet boat in the water also. Never underpower any boat!! Unless you are going to be alone ALL THE TIME! By all means, water test one also. Arnies Marine @ Sodus Bay (John Love) has several of these boats in stock.....Tell him that Jet Boat Bill sent you!

P.S. The negative stuff about these boats is based upon the former owners ......Logic Boats...... Thw web is full of horror stories about the hull splits and storage in SW Florida on Concrete blocks in 110 degree sun!!!....warped bottoms!! etc. Triumph Boats took over in the mid 1990's and put their tech guys to work. The results are outstanding. Surf Rescue units around the world consider these boats to be on the cutting edge presently! The impact test on their website is very revealing!! I saw a used Triumph in Florida last year ...3 years in the hot sun and no fading or mudcracking. Fiberglass gelcoat in SW Florida doesn' t make two years w/o color fade and severe chalking. .....Jet Boat Bill

I owned a Logic/ Triumph 17 center console, great boat. had a four stroke Yamaha. That thing was a stealth for fishing. The boat floated in 6 inches of water and the four stroke was so quiet I always had to see if water was coming out of the engine, to see if it was running. Boat was very light, great on gas and easy to trailor.

I traded it for a bigger boat ,but I do miss that boat in the spring when the lake is calm and you need to be stealthy. I would recomend it, I dont think you will be diapointed.

• 2 weeks later...