Canandaigua 6-28-14 - Perplexing

I went solo and had my lines in at 6AM this morning...figured the fish and bait might still be inthe same 50-80 or so range near the water plant and I was right...they were both there in numbers but after trolling back and forth through them and watching my downrigger rod tips bouncing after hitting the huge bait pods no takers. I changed lures multiple times ... was running two riggers (30 Sea Flee with fluoro leaders (12 lb) cheated and all spoons and a 5 color leadcore various spoons.  Then tried a few sticks and then combos no luck there either. Anyway I trolled on the west side for about 4 hrs and headed on angle from Danny's Ex's place south east toward the Christian camp...nothing. At 10:40 AM 40 ft downrigger released and had rainbow on main line about 2-3 lbs released him unharmed at side of boat. Trolled east side until about 1:30 PM and pulled up the lines and the 60 ft rigger had a laker on it about 2-3 lbs released unharmed. That was all the damage I could inflict today. Pretty sad out there....but there was one good thing the Sea Flee lines never had any noticeable fleas. :lol:

post-145411-0-07464900-1403983800_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-83744200-1403983810_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-50379100-1403983818_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Hey Les - I was out on Thursday in that same area and the bait and fish were there.  I managed to pick a rainbow in that same size range and a couple lakers a little bigger.  All were at 50' on the riggers.  The lakers liked the sutton 22 and the rainbow hit my new Bob Barker fingerling FLT spoon.  I hope to get out again early next week.

Ted

I fall for it every June...always think it might be different... but the fish know better and are probably laughing their arses off down there at us on all these lakes :lol: Hey Ted I had on 22's and 44's etc. and today they wouldn't fall for them....did you take out the "vulnerable" ones maybe? :lol: 

Edited by Sk8man